Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: Hornady ELD-X

Title
    Premium Member

Hornady ELD-X

I shot a 115lb whitetail doe over the weekend with my 7.5x55 and 178gr ELD-X going 2450fps. The shot was at 50yds and the bullet hit the heart and both lungs, she ran about 30yds. The bullet hit behind the shoulder and exited behind the other shoulder. I’m happy pretty much with that whole scenario, but was amazed at how the bullet grenaded at an impact velocity around 2400fps. I don’t think I would use the bullet for anything bigger or tougher than whitetail deer. I’m curious how the bullet would perform at that velocity, hitting a bone bigger than a rib.

JTD

Title
    110 miles north of Texarkana in the green hell
    Outside of a monolithic solid there aren't many bullets that will hold up well at that kind of impact speeds . Sierra GK , Pro Hunters , and Nosler Partitions do pretty well up to about 2800 in 115&117 gr 25 cal .

I don't have any direct experience with ELD or X .
    The 7.5 and 7.65s are .300 dia aren't they ? That would tend to suggest that the bullets are adjusted for the Mauser family velocity windows vs the all purpose 2500-3000 of the other .473 rim 30 cal and Mags . At 2400 fps it's probably right at the top of it's service design . I got nothing if it's a .308 dia other than maybe that's what it's supposed to do .

Title
    Premium Member
    Hornady says the bullet is good for deer and elk with a muzzle velocity range of 2000-3100fps. That makes me think that an impact velocity of 2400fps wouldn’t be out of the realm of reason for this bullet. I may try them out of my 30-40 krag at about 2000-2100fps.

My son shot a large bodied buck through the thickest part of the shoulder with a hornady 30 caliber 150gr interlock with an impact velocity approximately 2600fps. The bullet went through the shoulder bone and left about an inch sized exit hole in front of the opposing shoulder. That’s the kind of performance I’m used to out of standard cup and core bullet.

JTD