Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mausers

Title
    Premium Member

Mausers

I’ve got a soft spot for sporterized military and commercial mausers. All of the old timers I cut my teeth with shooting and reloading, had a favorite Mauser rifle or two or three. They would always tell stories about how the hardware stores would have barrels of them for just a few dollars each. I’d love to see some of your favorite hunting rifles built around Mauser actions.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    This rifle is now my 12 year olds rifle. He found it in the safe one day a couple years ago and asked if it was a good hunting rifle. I explained to him of the merits of the 7x57, and he asked if it could be his hunting rifle.

It’s not the best picture, but it’s a VZ24 action, timney trigger, low profile safety, military 18” barrel (of unknown manufacture), Leupold base and rings, and corelite stock.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Well, this is my favorite mauser rifle. I have no idea if it fits in the category you asked about, probably not, lol. This is what I was told when I bought it many years ago. It is a Yeager build (Philadelphila), chambered in 220 Swift and has a Robert W. Hart barrel on it. It took down quite a few PA groundhogs in it's tenure with me, even though it should really have wheels on it for hunting. Anything you can tell me about this would be great, it has been one of my finest shooters and I have no intention of seeing it go anywhere. The target shown is a five shot group @ 100yds and is typical of what this gun is capable of, not sure I can do it anymore, but the gun can, lol.
    Swift.jpg
    Swift Target.jpg

"Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyeralan View Post
    Well, this is my favorite mauser rifle. I have no idea if it fits in the category you asked about, probably not, lol. This is what I was told when I bought it many years ago. It is a Yeager build (Philadelphila), chambered in 220 Swift and has a Robert W. Hart barrel on it. It took down quite a few PA groundhogs in it's tenure with me, even though it should really have wheels on it for hunting. Anything you can tell me about this would be great, it has been one of my finest shooters and I have no intention of seeing it go anywhere. The target shown is a five shot group @ 100yds and is typical of what this gun is capable of, not sure I can do it anymore, but the gun can, lol.
    Swift.jpg
    Swift Target.jpg
    What a great rifle. That is exactly the type of rifles I am talking about. I love the 220 Swift, the swift was the first varmint rifle I ever owned. Your Mauser is a commercial action judging by the bolt shroud and 2 screws on the rear right side of the action. If there are no markings on the action, the shape of the thumb safety may shed some light on it.

JTD

Title
    110 miles north of Texarkana in the green hell
    Hart is one of the top of the upper middle barrels and no slouch .
    It's the Germanic Jeager , not like Chuck the supersonic test pilot .
    He built a trigger more or less copied by Timney but about 15 years before they were a thing .

Love my Mausers .
    Apparently I have misfiled or misplaced all of the pictures.
    So I give you one of the ugly step sisters.
    IMG_20160903_163616683.jpg
    41' Tierney Carcano formerly a 6.5×52 Carcano now a 7×6.8 SPC
    OM trigger, clips , Boyds grey laminate Prairie Hunter stock . Custom canelever base with a Leatherwood 2-7×32 EER , 20" Montana Rifleman barrel with target crown . It shoots a Sierra 120 SP 2400 fps MV into an inch .
    It's not the fun rifle I thought it would be. The stupid thing is all serious and business , loads work up in about 2-3 steps right up at top speeds for the parent.

I had hopped to get a bunch of the Hornady 7mm 154 gr BT HP but they've been dropped. A paper patch 27-130 FP was impressive except it weighed 140 gr . I'm pleased to say however that the Carcano action will handle a full primer disintegration and probably about a 72,000 psi pocket expansion event very nicely. Twice with no damage to the shooter or rifle .

Last edited by Harter; 12-11-2022 at 04:13 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter View Post
    Hart is one of the top of the upper middle barrels and no slouch .
    It's the Germanic Jeager , not like Chuck the supersonic test pilot .
    He built a trigger more or less copied by Timney but about 15 years before they were a thing .

Love my Mausers .
    Apparently I have misfiled or misplaced all of the pictures.
    So I give you one of the ugly step sisters.
    IMG_20160903_163616683.jpg
    41' Tierney Carcano formerly a 6.5×52 Carcano now a 7×6.8 SPC
    OM trigger, clips , Boyds grey laminate Prairie Hunter stock . Custom canelever base with a Leatherwood 2-7×32 EER , 20" Montana Rifleman barrel with target crown . It shoots a Sierra 120 SP 2400 fps MV into an inch .
    It's not the fun rifle I thought it would be. The stupid thing is all serious and business , loads work up in about 2-3 steps right up at top speeds for the parent.

I had hopped to get a bunch of the Hornady 7mm 154 gr BT HP but they've been dropped. A paper patch 27-130 FP was impressive except it weighed 140 gr . I'm pleased to say however that the Carcano action will handle a full primer disintegration and probably about a 72,000 psi pocket expansion event very nicely. Twice with no damage to the shooter or rifle .
    That’s got to be the coolest carcano ive ever seen.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Here’s another one. 98 Turk, original barrel chopped to 24” unknown stock, timney trigger, Leupold rings and bases.

This thing is an excellent shooter. Ive got sub moa loads with the 175gr pro hunter, 185gr core lokt, and 150gr interlocks.

JTD

Title
    110 miles north of Texarkana in the green hell
    It's one of a kind for sure .

Title
    Premium Member
    This is one of my favorites. A German 98k in 257 Roberts. Douglas barrel, Bishop stock, Timney trigger, Leupold scope mounts.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    That's a beauty, thanks for sharing! Another caliber that is on my "to do" list.

"Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"