Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: 10mm

Title
    Premium Member

10mm

Years ago I had a tanfaglio witness in 10mm. Loved the look but didn’t love the pistol, long story short, I sold it 3 years ago and have been on the prowl for a replacement. A few weeks ago, I ended up getting a Glock G40 with trijicon RMR.

I had 1 box of Remington factory 180gr FMJ and about 50 old reloads with 180gr Berry’s HP, loaded with light charges of HS-6, AA7, and power pistol. These all shot pretty well out of the witness. The factory ammo shot incredibly out of the Glock, but the old reloads all keyholed, not a single one hit the target nose first. I figured that this was happening because of the Glock’s 9.5” twist, as opposed to the standard 16” twist.

I made up some super light (medium 40S&W) loads with Bullseye and W231 to see if that would get those Berry’s shooting straight. They didn’t keyhole but they shot about 15” groups at 15yds. Back to the drawing board. I need to get these to shoot because I have 140 of them left at this point, and they need to disappear.

I also have a box of 1000 Rainier 165gr HP (were supposed to be 180’s but they shipped the wrong ones) left over from many years ago. Fearing the same problem I was having with the Berry’s, I set out looking at 40S&W data again. I found some data using auto-comp and I just happened to have a brand new pound of it from when it first came out. I loaded up 10 of the Rainier 165’s with 6.0gr of Auto comp, lo and behold, they shot an inch group at 15yds. I was so excited that I ran home and loaded up 10 of the Berry 180’s with 5.5gr of auto comp. I went back to the range this past weekend, set up my chronograph and gave it hell. The 165 Rainier load shot very well again and averaged 950fps, and the 180 Berry load shot a 2” group with perfectly round holes, it averaged 930fps. Good enough for me.

Now I can use up the last of those Berry’s and all of those Rainier’s. When they are all gone I’ve got 1000 Xtreme 180gr HP to focus on. I’m hoping to get a practice load with them using a more traditional 10mm powder, going about 1100fps.

JTD

Similar Threads:

Title
    I use AA 7 or BE 86 for my 10mm loads. Go look at the 10 mm Forum for start loads and full power loads.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Happyguy View Post
    I use AA 7 or BE 86 for my 10mm loads. Go look at the 10 mm Forum for start loads and full power loads.
    Ive got AA7 and 9, power pistol, blue dot, and long shot to play around with. Ive been digging online and through my manuals for a while now, and have picked out some loads to try. I’m going to shoot up the last of those berry’s plated bullets, with autocomp, to finish getting acquainted with the pistol, then I will start on some heavier loads. I’ll share all my findings as I go, and feel free to chime in any time.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Previously I had loaded 6.0gr of autocomp for the 165gr Rainier HP. They shot great, but that load is 1.0gr under minimum in the Sierra manual. Today I loaded some with 6.8gr and some with 7.3gr, this should get them over 1000fps.

JTD

My experience with tumbling cast bullets from a Glock came in 357 SIG caliber. The source of the problem had to do with bullets. Bullets were stripping in the rifling giving keyholes. Next batch of cast bullets was water quenched. Problem went away. Much of the lead residue in my other Glock's looks very much like gas cutting. The answer is with hard bullets.

Title
    Premium Member
    The 6.0gr autocomp with 165gr rainier hp load is still accurate but now that the weather has cooled off, it is not cycling reliably. The 6.8gr load shot very well, cycled fine, and got 1075fps. The 7.3gr load shot great and is getting 1125fps. So the 7.3gr of autocomp will definitely be my load to finish off those bullets. It is comfortable to shoot, cycles fine, and is very accurate.

I tried 9.0gr of longshot with 180gr magtech JHP bullets. It shot great and is getting an average of 1244fps. Ive got 10 more loaded up to test with 8.6gr of longshot, hoping to slow it down to 1200fps.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Made it to the range this morning and had some good results. The 8.6gr longshot with 180gr magtech HP load shot pretty well. I tested it with the stock Glock barrel and my lone wolf barrel. Average velocity in the Glock barrel was 1226fps. Average velocity in the LW barrel was 1252fps. The Glock barrel definitely shot this load more accurately, with a group just under 2” @25yds.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member

10mm

I loaded up my 55 remaining magtech 180gr HP’s with 8.6gr longshot @ 1.250”, 1225fps. I’m going to try to shoot at 25, 50, and 100yds and see what they will do.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    A few weeks ago I loaded up 400+ 165gr Rainier HP’s with 7.3gr Autocomp. 1.250”. 1126fps. These will be for plinking/practice as they are soft shooting and cycle reliably.

Whenever I get some time, I’ve got a mess of Hornady 180gr XTP and Nosler 200gr ASP JHP’s that I am going to play with. For the 180gr I’m going to start with long shot and with the 200gr I’m going to start with AA No.9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk