Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    110 miles north of Texarkana in the green hell

How we see things ?

Avoiding poly-ticks at all costs and yet ........

I have an expression used sometimes in small transactions where I send a Birthday card payment . Growing up and even my kids got birthday and sometimes Christmas cards from distant family containing a usually cute card and $5-20 cash over about $15 it was more likely a check . The idea has stuck with me and I guess I just took it for granted that everyone did it that way .

I've always been perplexed by the hotly worded contests over a person's choice of hunting cartridges . I grew up and hunted all of my life with a definition of a minimum big game cartridge like this ;
    "Rifle cartridges shall be 22 cal or larger with and overall loaded length of 2 inches or more and produce 1000 ftlbs at 100 yards .
    Handguns must be 24 caliber or larger and have a minimum case length of that of the 44 Rem magnum and be fired from no less than a 4 inch barrel . "
    The 223 will just make the cut with the right load and bullet , and the 256 Winchester Magnum and a bunch of cowboy BP pistol cartridges .

Maine specifically calls out the 25 ACP as the minimum deer cartridge .......... I have a mental image of gross stereotype of an Elmer Fudd dressed fellow and a nickel pocket gun with pearl grips in an exaggerated tiptoe sneak on Bambi ..... Don't follow that it's just weird and highly unlikely to have ever happened but still .

Georgia allows a hafted spear . Seriously that's a stick with a secured hardened point of not wood ......... There's this image of Alley Oop or some other 1,000,000 BC character up a tree waiting to lunge and plunge .

Arkansas only recently added the 4" requirement for hand guns but doesn't specify how that's measured .....

Moreover no state that I know of will allow the use of any ML or Cap & Ball pistol . Odd as the Walker and Dragoon Colts were intended to shoot through a horse and saddle and inflict a serious wound on the man behind the horse ...... You know there's a guy out there somewhere that has put that 45,50,or 54 cal ML barrel on his Contender pistol frame and tried it . No offense if it was you because if I had one it would have been me at least once , and probably with a light load ......

Long range hunting . Oh Lord how many times have I read "you don't need to be hunting if you can't get within 100 yd" or some variation ......
    Well sure outside of power line cuts and a few fields Oklahoma and Arkansas are pretty short on being able to see over 100 yards let alone make a shot that far . Most of the south and Atlantic coast east of the Mississippi and Missouri rivers fit that too . Out west where a hunt above the tree line covered in white granite flag stone really doesn't make a sneak possible so 350 yd shots aren't uncommon and in Nevada it's 1 by tag only via lottery draw . You might only get 1 or 2 shots during the 2 week season . Arkansas you 3-5 tags with your license and you can buy more OTC ....

In practice I've seen clean kills on hogs of 100-300 lbs with cowboy type loads in 45 Colts and 357 mags inside 50 yd and miserable failures with a 300 WSM . I've read stories of 200+ yd with a 30-30 in a 94' and 400 yd with a 44 mag .

Perspective , life , experience , history .

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter View Post
    Avoiding poly-ticks at all costs and yet ........

I have an expression used sometimes in small transactions where I send a Birthday card payment . Growing up and even my kids got birthday and sometimes Christmas cards from distant family containing a usually cute card and $5-20 cash over about $15 it was more likely a check . The idea has stuck with me and I guess I just took it for granted that everyone did it that way .

I've always been perplexed by the hotly worded contests over a person's choice of hunting cartridges . I grew up and hunted all of my life with a definition of a minimum big game cartridge like this ;
    "Rifle cartridges shall be 22 cal or larger with and overall loaded length of 2 inches or more and produce 1000 ftlbs at 100 yards .
    Handguns must be 24 caliber or larger and have a minimum case length of that of the 44 Rem magnum and be fired from no less than a 4 inch barrel . "
    The 223 will just make the cut with the right load and bullet , and the 256 Winchester Magnum and a bunch of cowboy BP pistol cartridges .

Maine specifically calls out the 25 ACP as the minimum deer cartridge .......... I have a mental image of gross stereotype of an Elmer Fudd dressed fellow and a nickel pocket gun with pearl grips in an exaggerated tiptoe sneak on Bambi ..... Don't follow that it's just weird and highly unlikely to have ever happened but still .

Georgia allows a hafted spear . Seriously that's a stick with a secured hardened point of not wood ......... There's this image of Alley Oop or some other 1,000,000 BC character up a tree waiting to lunge and plunge .

Arkansas only recently added the 4" requirement for hand guns but doesn't specify how that's measured .....

Moreover no state that I know of will allow the use of any ML or Cap & Ball pistol . Odd as the Walker and Dragoon Colts were intended to shoot through a horse and saddle and inflict a serious wound on the man behind the horse ...... You know there's a guy out there somewhere that has put that 45,50,or 54 cal ML barrel on his Contender pistol frame and tried it . No offense if it was you because if I had one it would have been me at least once , and probably with a light load ......

Long range hunting . Oh Lord how many times have I read "you don't need to be hunting if you can't get within 100 yd" or some variation ......
    Well sure outside of power line cuts and a few fields Oklahoma and Arkansas are pretty short on being able to see over 100 yards let alone make a shot that far . Most of the south and Atlantic coast east of the Mississippi and Missouri rivers fit that too . Out west where a hunt above the tree line covered in white granite flag stone really doesn't make a sneak possible so 350 yd shots aren't uncommon and in Nevada it's 1 by tag only via lottery draw . You might only get 1 or 2 shots during the 2 week season . Arkansas you 3-5 tags with your license and you can buy more OTC ....

In practice I've seen clean kills on hogs of 100-300 lbs with cowboy type loads in 45 Colts and 357 mags inside 50 yd and miserable failures with a 300 WSM . I've read stories of 200+ yd with a 30-30 in a 94' and 400 yd with a 44 mag .

Perspective , life , experience , history .
    That was a fun read. Ive never really paid any attention to other states rules regarding how you can take game. In Texas is 22 center fire rifle or bigger, I have no idea about handgun or archery rules.

I usually just chuckle when I hear or read people saying that you need so and so if you’re going to hunt this or that. I always think, how did people ever kill an animal before pointy low drag bullets going 3600fps became a thing.

Sometimes people scoff at me for using standard cup and core bullets at modest velocities, and that I have an affinity for non aerodynamic round nose bullets. I don’t care, my loads kill animals.

JTD