Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 280 Ackley

Title
    Premium Member

280 Ackley

Fire forming a little brass today in my Smith Corona 1903A3 280 Ackley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Nice! One caliber I don't have, but definitely wouldn't mind.

Title
    Premium Member
    Love my 280 AI

[I][B][COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=4]Some people never have time to do it right the first time but always find time to do it twice[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/I]

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    Love my 280 AI
    What kind of rifle is yours chambered in?

Title
    Premium Member

280 Ackley

I have a Montana Rifle Company X3 in .280 AI. The best I’ve found for my reloads thus far is Nosler brass, Federal 210M primers, 160 grain accubonds over 55.0 grains of 4831SC

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by calin_sidwell View Post
    I have a Montana Rifle Company X3 in .280 AI. The best I’ve found for my reloads thus far is Nosler brass, Federal 210M primers, 160 grain accubonds over 55.0 grains of 4831SC

Beautiful rifle! What velocity are you getting out of that load?

Title
    Premium Member
    I actually haven’t had a chance to run it over a chronograph, but Nosler is saying from the same load combination with a 26” barrel they are getting 2811 FPS. I have a 24”, so I bet it’s somewhere in the 2700-2720 range, but we shall see. I’m damn happy with what I do have though, it put all 5 shots into a 1” group. Not too shabby from a rifle built for the mountains.

Title
    Premium Member
    So instead of making a new thread for this topic, I'm going to jump on this one, as I am getting close to the end of a .280AI build and if I get some time, I'd like to get some rounds to fireform. I can't remember where I read it, but I have heard a good way to fireform rounds is to use a recipe of the parent load, that is halfway between starting load and maximum. Can anyone confirm this? I have a few hundred cases of once fired .270Win brass, that I am planning to run through a .280 FL sizer die and then load them as .280. Cheap brass to start with for the barrel break in process and the beginning steps to reload for this new-to-me cartridge. Those with experience with this round, what are your thoughts on this?

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbotto View Post
    So instead of making a new thread for this topic, I'm going to jump on this one, as I am getting close to the end of a .280AI build and if I get some time, I'd like to get some rounds to fireform. I can't remember where I read it, but I have heard a good way to fireform rounds is to use a recipe of the parent load, that is halfway between starting load and maximum. Can anyone confirm this? I have a few hundred cases of once fired .270Win brass, that I am planning to run through a .280 FL sizer die and then load them as .280. Cheap brass to start with for the barrel break in process and the beginning steps to reload for this new-to-me cartridge. Those with experience with this round, what are your thoughts on this?
    I’ve never used once fired brass, always new for fire forming. The best way I have found for fire forming is to seat your bullet into the rifling so that the brass is pushed up against the bolt face. This ensures that all of the case stretching is forward, so as not to weaken the web area. I use a medium load of faster burning powder to send the bullets.

JTD

Title
    I have a Montana x3 also,I have used 270,3006 brass,through a 280 fl sizer,then fire form with 35 of h4198 works fine except wrong caliber marking.i think 280 Nosler brass to be best. Nosler black loading manual has a lot on 280ai,140 grain acubond i get3150 and 160 acubond I get about 3000 with h4831sc,almost 7 mag without the blast and recoil