Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: primer problem

Title

Unhappy primer problem

Hello y'all, Joe the newbie here.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong that out of 50 45acp casings run through my decapper three failed to decap no matter how many time I put them through the decapper.?

THA
    NKS!

Similar Threads:

Title
    110 miles north of Texarkana in the green hell
    Without a little more information .......

Broken decapping pin . Nothing to push the primer out .

Berdan primers . No hole for the decapping pin to push the primer out and you now have a broken decapping pin or it's pushed up too far to hit the primer and push it out .

Adjustment of the die and decapping pin . Lee dies sometimes require , to me anyway ,an uncomfortable level of torque to lock the decapping pin in place and it moves surprisingly easy if it isn't locked down . If not a Lee die you may need to adjust the decapping pin deeper as it may not be reaching far enough to get all of the primers free of the pocket . This can be made worse by small flash holes and sealed or staked/crimped primers .

Occasionally you will get a piece of brass where the primer cup stretches , the head is thick , the primer pocket is very tight and there just isn't enough reach to get the primer out . In probably 50,000 pieces of 40 or so cartridges I've had maybe 10 pieces of WWII 06' do this .

Last and probably the most unusual but more common than the last one , is to have a primer stick to the decapping pin hard enough to be pulled back into the pocket and partially or even completely reseated .

Title
    Thanks. Looks like the pin moved up a bit. I Will reset.

Funny how it decapped 47 cases but not those 3. I have a LOT to learn.

Title
    110 miles north of Texarkana in the green hell
    Believe me I think everyone that has enjoyed the hobby for any length of time has experienced the joy of the creeping die setting or slip at some point .
    The broken unbreakable , O/U sized sizing , over/under lubed , my personal favorite the expander ball pulled off in the case .

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter View Post
    Believe me I think everyone that has enjoyed the hobby for any length of time has experienced the joy of the creeping die setting or slip at some point .
    The broken unbreakable , O/U sized sizing , over/under lubed , my personal favorite the expander ball pulled off in the case .
    THANKS.
    So much to look forward to. LOL