Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    My two stuck cases were not cool stories at all. 30-06, no lube inside the neck, stuck on expander. 223 not enough lube on the case body. Stupid mistakes.

JTD
    My take on it is that things can happen if you are actively doing something. That's why stuck case extractors and squib rods are made.

Last edited by Mowgli Terry; 01-25-2023 at 04:44 AM.

I'd say most of the reloaders I know have a stuck case remover. A stuck case, to me, means something not being right. Anybody that's done some heavy duty case forming has a different attitude about stuck brass. To me it's one of the "yet" events in reloading meaning one has not done it yet.

Title
    110 miles north of Texarkana in the green hell
    It must be something in the case geometry of the 223 .

When using new dies , Lee seems to be the worst but I can't prove that , whatever case lube your using, prelube the die with it . Don't be sparing either . Seriously if you don't get at least 2 cases back with lube dents you didn't get enough in the die , excluding dry lubes . You have fill in and smooth over the tool marks and open pores .

The last one I stuck was a 223 , there were a couple of 308 , and 06's before that . The lube pad operator was at fault for all but the 223 , which was how I arrived at run em' wet one step under lube dents for the first 100 . Actually if the shoulder doesn't crease you're still ok .

In case this sounds like brand bashing it isn't I have CH , Forster , Herters, Hornady, Lee, Lachmiller, Lyman, Pacific , Redding , and RCBS die sets .

Let me share my experience. I was forming 256 Newton cases from 270 Remington and Winchester once fired brass. I was using Imperial Sizing die wax. This was a horror story, I was dealing with stuck cases and dents. Lube was coming out of the vent hole in the RCBS dies. Unvented, the C&H dies were sticking cases also I swapped over to the new style RCBS lube. Problem went away. My feelings/personal experience is that Imperial does not work well for reforming cases. This stuck case situation had mainly to do with lube type. This shortfall was evident also when the RCBS dies were used to form 45-60 from Starline 45-70 brass. Reforming worked great with the RCBS lube.

This is not bashing Imperial. I have used Imperial long before Redding bought them out. In my experience a wrong or inappropriate lube can bring on stuck cases. Most of my dies came to me used. Any break-in was done by former anonymous owners. The Newton dies were both new with the RCBS being NOS from a going out of business sale many years ago.