Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title

Cool Just an old trick!!

Here is an old timers trick that I was showed almost 50 years ago and I had a chance to use it yesterday. I have some 223 ammo with primers installed about 7 years ago and the cases showed signs of tarnish so I decided to toss them in my RCBS Vibrator cleaner. After about three hours I took them out but they were still tarnished since I ran out of cleaner. It was then I noticed a loose primer in the media. After separating the cases I discovered two more missing primers. I found them in the media. I installed a primer in the pocket and it came back out. I remembered being showed this trick a long time ago. I took some Nail Polish and put it in the primer pocket, then installed the primer by hand with a rubber mallet to make sure it was all the way down inside the pocket. After about 20 minutes and the polish had dried they were stuck in the primer pocket. Just a long time ago trick that was showed me and yesterday I finally had a chance to use it. Probably chuck the case after a range trim but they are installed tight at the moment. When I was in the military a lot of the 223 rems had a red trim around the primer pocket. don't know if it was finger nail polish but it could have been. Just wondering!!

Last edited by 74man; 01-30-2022 at 09:54 PM. Reason: delete post

Title
    Premium Member
    The red polish in the military brass is for water proofing. I would no trust what you did - it is still a loose primer pocket just kind of glued in.