Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Looking for load data for 6.5x55 Swede 155gr Lapua MEGA

My wife has a CZ550FS in 6.5x55 Swede. She drew a cow elk tag this year and wants to use her rifle for the hunt. 6.5 bullets are in short supply in my area but I have a box of Lapua 155gr MEGA but no load data for this bullet weight. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser View Post
    My wife has a CZ550FS in 6.5x55 Swede. She drew a cow elk tag this year and wants to use her rifle for the hunt. 6.5 bullets are in short supply in my area but I have a box of Lapua 155gr MEGA but no load data for this bullet weight. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    What powders do you have? I use that bullet with Norma MRP.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    The only data I can find, on a quick search, for 155gr is for the Sierra HPBT. Ive never used that particular bullet, but have used the 156gr PRVI RN, 160gr Sierra RN, and 160gr Hornady RN. I use the abundant data for 160gr bullets from Hornady Sierra and Lyman. My best results have been with slower powders, 4831 and slower.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Jeffery is correct, you can use 160gr jacketed data. Also, as he said, a slower powder is better. The Lapua Mega is more like a Hornady GMX or Barnes bullet. Usually on these type of bullets you can use jacketed data but need to go with a heavier weight. As always start low and work up.

Title
    Premium Member
    I've got H4831, H4350, R22, R19 and more

Title
    Premium Member
    I didn’t realize the the mega was a monolithic bullet. My latest load is with the 156gr PRVI RN. It is a standard cup and core bullet. I’m using a pretty hefty dose of H1000, I don’t think I could put enough of it in the case to reach high pressure with a standard bullet. Hogdgon lists 50.0gr as max with H1000 and 160gr bullet. I’m at 48.0gr and getting velocity I want and good accuracy.

I love those CZ550FS. Ive always wanted one in 6.5x55 and 9.3x62. I wish I would have picked one up when they first came out. They have since doubled in price.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    I didn’t realize the the mega was a monolithic bullet. My latest load is with the 156gr PRVI RN. It is a standard cup and core bullet. I’m using a pretty hefty dose of H1000, I don’t think I could put enough of it in the case to reach high pressure with a standard bullet. Hogdgon lists 50.0gr as max with H1000 and 160gr bullet. I’m at 48.0gr and getting velocity I want and good accuracy.

I love those CZ550FS. Ive always wanted one in 6.5x55 and 9.3x62. I wish I would have picked one up when they first came out. They have since doubled in price.

JTD
    Yep, the mega bullets are a thick brass jacket with a lead core.

Title
    Premium Member
    Not a monolithic, I'd say they seem to be similar in construction to the Nosler Accubond but not so slippery. Should be a good penetrator on heavy game. I've shot 2 elk, a bull and a cow, with 140gr Accubonds from my 98 Mauser in 6.5 Swede and wasn't particularly impressed with the results but both were beyond 300yds. I don't want the wife shooting that far. Not that she's not capable but with this particular cartridge my past results on elk haven't been stellar. I'm hoping if we limit the range to <200yds maybe we will have better results. Both elk I shot died but neither showed any hint they'd been hit and took multiple shots to dispatch. I've had great results on deer with 140gr Hornady SSTs and Accubonds, even SMKs, but elk just don't seem to notice that slippery bullet zipping through them. If I had the CZ550FS I'd prefer the 9.3x62 but I also really enjoy shooting and hunting with my 35 Whelen AI.

Title
    Premium Member
    You should be able to get up over 2400fps with those slow powders. Ive noticed that the slower the powder I use with the heavies in 6.5x55, that the recoil doesn’t seem to be as bad. That H1000 load I mentioned earlier is surprisingly mild, compared to some other loads I’ve tried.

JTD