Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7x57

Title
    Premium Member

7x57

I have a great load for my 11 year olds 7x57 with 139gr Hornady interlocks, and IMR3031. I’m currently out of 3031 so we are testing out IMR4320 with the same bullet. COAL is at 3.005”, starting with 36.0gr of 4320 and doing .5gr increments up to 37.5gr. I’m trying to keep the recoil on the more moderate side.

He shoots the 3031 load consistently into 1” groups, so we are looking for the same (or at least close) out of the 4320.

JTD

Similar Threads:

Title
    110 miles north of Texarkana in the green hell
    4895 H or I might be a good choice . There's a lot of data for I4350 and 4831 for "low pressure" loads holding to the old 48kpsi standards for the Rolling Blocks and 93/95 Mausers . We shot 120s & 154s .

Things being what they are you may not have those choices .......

Title
    Premium Member
    I have all of those powders, but I have 2lbs of 4320 that I don’t use in anything. That should be enough powder to last him until he puts his big boy pants on, and we can step up the loads a little.

And also, if my memory serves me, I think 4320 has shot well out of this rifle in the past, at the lower charge weights.

JTD

Title
    110 miles north of Texarkana in the green hell
    That's as good a reason as any for me .

Title
    Premium Member
    Well, made it to the range Sunday. The biggest group was 2”, that was the 36.0gr load. The best was 1” with 37.0gr. 36.5 and 37.5 were both hovering around 1.5”. That’s plenty good enough for us with this old Franken-Mauser rifle. This weekend we are going to take it out to sight it in, hopefully the 37.0gr load shoots as well as it did the first time.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Got some more of the 37.0gr IMR4320 loaded up. Brass is mixed S&B, PPU, WW, and Hornady. This is all once fired range brass that has been FL sized, and needs fireformed to the generous chamber of this rifle. If it is anything like my previous load, it will shoot a little better after it has been fireformed. Hoping to make it to the range this weekend to see how it does and hopefully get a velocity for it.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    The little man got his rifle sighted this weekend. The 4320 load continued to shoot very well. All groups ( 3 shot groups ) were MOA or better.

The rifle is a pieced together 98 mauser. VZ24 action, unknown military stepped barrel 20”, core lite stock, timney trigger, Leupold rings and bases, and a mueller scope.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Love those Mausers!

Title
    Premium Member

7x57

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser View Post
    Love those Mausers!
    Me too. Ive been thinking of starting a thread for people to show of their mausers.

At first, my son liked it but didn’t LOVE it. Now that he’s gotten some attention from some older shooters, about his rifle, he thinks it is the best rifle ever.

JTD

Last edited by JeffreyDeGraff; 10-19-2021 at 06:28 AM.

Title
    Premium Member
    139gr interlock, 37.0gr IMR4320. 3.005” OAL

1st group

2nd group.

JTD