Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9.3x57

Title
    Premium Member
    I haven’t found any dies yet, but have been anxious to shoot the box of Norma ammo I have.

On your 8mm, when whoever mounted the side mount, did they remove any wood from the stock to mount it?

My gunsmith money is disappearing quick, but I should be done after the argentine, the husqvarna, and the arisaka. Fingers crossed.

JTD

From my rifles and those on the net the mounts and scopes were retrofitted. The side mounts are not uniform. These mounts appear to be a variety of common side mounts. Neither of mine have a maker or retailers name. These mounts are attached to the rifle with three slotted screws. There is a small piece of wood removed from the top edge of the stock to make room for the base.

On the 146, the scope base is left in place. The scope and ring portion are gone. I'd rather look at that base than three screw holes. The 146 stock appears well bedded with no cracks. That gun is ready to go. Husqvarna rules. I have no way of knowing but there may have been jigs and fixtures to locate screw holes and stock modifications.

Title
    Premium Member

9.3x57

My model 46 is drilled and tapped for weaver 2 piece base. It took a little modifying of the rear base to get it to fit properly, but it is solid. The original bolt handle will not clear a scope without the use of xtra super high rings with rings like that, say good bye to cheek weld, so I sent the bolt off and am having a mannlicher style bolt handle installed. Can’t wait to get it back. I started a thread about it in another section of the forum.

JTD

Last edited by JeffreyDeGraff; 08-03-2021 at 11:59 AM.

This is about what's happening here-Fired brass: Getting into the area of a full charge there was no problematic protruding primers. For me, the brass and primers looked normal. The next small lot that I load will be with this PPU brass neck sized. More on this later

Necks: I was able to pass a bullet through the neck of a fired case. Doing some measuring I came up with a neck thickness of .013 to .015". Personally, any brass that comes out thicker than PPU does not need to be shot in my rifle. Using medium burning powders for the time being. Next up, the hunt will start for PPU bullets. I may try fire forming some 7mm x57 Hornady brass.

This is my first time out with these rifles. I am trying t0 load for the rifle. That means working with the rifle and not from diagrams etc. I am starting to find additional loading data.

Last edited by Mowgli Terry; 08-03-2021 at 12:04 PM.