Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9.3x57

Title
    Premium Member

9.3x57

This originally started as a “in search of” thread, but turned into an excellent discussion. I have found my dies, so if anyone has anything to add or questions, let’s keep this one going.

Looking for a set of 9.3x57 dies. Would also be interested in 9.3mm bullets. Let me know if you have anything. Thanks.

JTD

Last edited by JeffreyDeGraff; 04-25-2022 at 03:56 PM.

I am using a newish set of Hornady dies for 9.3x57. Those dies have a tapered expander plug that allows me opening necks easily on 8x57 brass. I got some grossly over priced 285gr. blemished Hornady bullets from Midway.

I've got two rifles in that caliber. I should have one running shortly. The other needs repairs. The hunt is on for loading data.

Title
    Premium Member
    Ha! Ive got bullets, Norma brass, a rifle, and load data, I just need the dies.

JTD

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    Ha! Ive got bullets, Norma brass, a rifle, and load data, I just need the dies.

JTD
    That's no big deal to me. I had a rifle built because of having the dies. It was a 256 Newton.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mowgli Terry View Post
    That's no big deal to me. I had a rifle built because of having the dies. It was a 256 Newton.
    I was just saying we were in opposite situations.
    Ive read that the Hornady bullet may be a little too tough for 9.3x57 velocities. The Speer 270gr and PRVI 285 are quite a bit softer.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mowgli Terry View Post
    Here is some load data for the 286 Hornady.

JTD

Thanks for the data and information on the bullets. My rifle is a Model 46. I had gone with the Hornady bullets as there were no other turning up in the Google search several weeks ago. I had no interest in the big ticket controlled expansion bullets. Getting these Hornady bullets were for getting the gun going. The plan is to move onto cast bullets. Thank again for the heads up on the bullets plus the loading data.

Last edited by Mowgli Terry; 07-05-2021 at 10:24 AM.

Title
    Premium Member
    You’re very welcome. When you get it going, please start a thread about it, I’m very interested in your results. Ive got one box of factory ammo I’m going to use while I continue to look for dies. I will update with any load progress I make once I start loading for it.

JTD

Huskqvarna 46: I'm forming my cases from PPU 8mm brass right now without problems. It would be good to have some trim to length data. There's a case length in the diagram. I was looking for real world numbers.

Also, have you found the groove diameter to be potentially problematic as in oversized. Is there anything odd or unusual that may be a concern.

Added: The Hornady dies are working very well. They're worth a look.

Title
    Premium Member
    My new Norma brass measures 2.218”. From everything I have been able to find, the 2.224” in that diagram is max case length for the 9.3x57. So I am going to use that as my max and 2.214” as my trim to length. I have not slugged my bore, so no idea on that. My rifle is also a 46 (‘96 action). The only problematic thing Ive heard or read about is the stock is prone to splitting at the tang, and sometimes there is oil damage to the wood under the action.

JTD