Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9.3x57

So far, no problems with the wood. Those Swedish people are into austere rifles. My next undertaking is to come with with a 36 caliber trimmer pilot. Thanks for the info. I had expected to find specs only generally followed with these rifles.

The other rifle I am actively shooting is a Huskqvarna 8mm. There were no problems with PPU ammo in that gun. I'm keeping the option of fire forming cases for the 9.3. Thanks again for the numbers you figured out for the 9.3. The the other 9.3x57 rifle with the FN action is with gunsmith to repair a ding in the crown. There may be some Bubba related problems with that rifle. More later.

I measured a sample of my formed PPU brass. No case was sufficiently over 2.224 max to be a concern. What I plan to do is load test a lot with this untrimmed brass. The idea is to neck size these cases then trim. From the shape of the cartridge using the FL die to necksize should not be a problem. This first small lot of rounds should give me an idea what comes next. I may try the scope later on. I have no interest in working up loads with potentially malfunctioning optics. That's crazy making. I'll share what's happening here as events unfold.

Title
    Premium Member
    We should start a new thread for this. This is in the looking to buy section.

JTD

Maybe the posts in this thread to date here can be moved.

Title
    Premium Member
    Finally got a new set of Hornady dies, and picked up a box of 250gr nosler accubonds too. Next on my list are some 286gr hornady sp. My Husqvarna 9.3x57 is at the gunsmith getting the stock checked out. Ive got a 9.3x62 and 9.3x74R that I’m working loads for too.

JTD

Title
    110 miles north of Texarkana in the green hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Mowgli Terry View Post
    Huskqvarna 46: I'm forming my cases from PPU 8mm brass right now without problems. It would be good to have some trim to length data. There's a case length in the diagram. I was looking for real world numbers.

Also, have you found the groove diameter to be potentially problematic as in oversized. Is there anything odd or unusual that may be a concern.

Added: The Hornady dies are working very well. They're worth a look.
    So here's what I would do as far as case length . I'd grab an 06' out of the orphan mismatched range brass bucket and size it without the expander until I had a firm bolt closure then I'd over anneal it . The quality doesn't matter here you want it to move easy and fully imprint everything . Then prime and charge it 5-7 gr of Unique or something between it and Red Dot . Fill the case with Grits , corn meal or Cream of Wheat . Add an appropriate plug of wax or like to keep the cereal and powder in the case an layered . It'll be pretty load when you fire it and at 10' the Grits will still saw right through a cardboard box . Inside you will have a line where the end of the actual chamber and a pretty good look at the throat and leade . Trim to the line and another .001 , adjust as needed for actual fired loads .

I've been surprised more than once by how much longer the neck in an actual chamber was than the specification and once by one that was just literally a hairs breadth longer than standard trim length .

The lasted of my 9.3x57's has an altered FN commercial action. The bolt handle has been modified and the stock shortened. The only serious change here was have made is the addition of a recoil pad to bring the rifle up to a normal pull. This rifle had to have a new crown as there was a dent in the muzzle. The gun was taken out recently. A few rounds with the PPU 285 gr. bullets proved to good to go as is....mostly. A small crack in behind the tang needs to be patched. The other gun, with 96 action, is good as is.The FN based gun has a base but no scope. The two 9.5's appear to have a usable zero with the iron sights as is.

I have a new ProChronoDLX chronograph. There should be real world numbers coming along soon. It took about one minute to get the machine connected to my phone. This machine has all the indications of being a highly useful addition to my reloading gear.

That last Husqvarna is an 8mm. Using the tiny original sights the gun grouped well at 100 yards with these handloads and a few S&B 8mm rounds with 196gr. bullet. My first loads in the 8mm moved out at 2500 fps with 170 gr. Sierra bullets with 50.5 grs of SW4350. The gun appears to have an original front sight. The group was seriously high at 100 years. This rifle also has a scope. This zero situation may have to do with my low end loads.

I have absolutely no interest in modifying these rifles.

Correction: The 8mm rifle has a scope as does the 96 based 9.3x57. The FN based 9.3x57 has the base but the scope and ring mount are missing. With some shooting the crack in the wrist opened.

Last edited by Mowgli Terry; 02-16-2023 at 03:52 AM.

Title
    Premium Member
    My rifle still isn’t back from the gunsmith yet. I’m going to give him a call next week and see where he is at. Ive got my scope, rings, dies, brass, bullets, and one box of loaded ammo ready to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The FN based 9.3x57 has been set back until I can find somebody new to work on my rifles. I have not done much with the other Husqvarna 9.3. It's good to go as is. My brass made from PPU 8x57 works well without a problem. The chronograph is down. It's going to be shipped for repair this coming week. Most all my current projects have been impacted negatively by this reloading famine. My gear is not set up to do extensive case shortening. Therefore, 8x57 cases made 9.3 brass easily. I had some 7x57 brass on the edge of getting the COW forming. As it happens a nice mid-60's light weight FN based sporter in 7x57 came this way. That took care of the 7x57 brass.