Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: Hi !!!

Title
    110 miles north of Texarkana in the green hell

Hi !!!

New guy . Not new to reloading . Done some interesting stuff . Done some dumb stuff . Haven't blown anything up yet . Have a couple of mildcats . Cast bullets in everything . I've been around reloading since 75' , on my own gear since 93' , casting since 08' .

Vaguely opinionated . Tried a lot of stuff to reach those opinions . I won't offer an opinion if I haven't used a tool . I cast 17 calibers in 40 or so cases plus 5 gauges . Those run from C&B to WM .

I'm here to help and ask stupid questions about new tools like the Hornady universal neck dies .

Title
    Premium Member
    Welcome aboard! Glad to have you here. I’m not familiar with the Hornady universal neck die, what exactly is that creature?

JTD

Title
    110 miles north of Texarkana in the green hell
    Cliff notes ....

Hornady cuts a die with a nominal caliber neck that is deep enough to hold 5-6 threads for the mags and shallow enough to touch the shoulder but not the shell holder of the shorter cases . The 6.5 will reach the Grendel and 264 , the 270 does the 6.8 out to at least 270 Win . I had hoped the 6.5 was a bushing type ..... They do have multiple expander balls .

I got a 6.5 cheap enough but the expanders didn't go big enough or small enough for a 6.5 Japanese I have that needs a .272/3 cast/paper patch and the 270 should get it without an expander . This particular one in a standard die moves the neck almost .1 every cycle .

Title
    Premium Member
    Ok. It is their “what I consider” standard neck die that works for caliber, not cartridge. Ive used those a bunch through the years. Ive got the .25, 6.5, 7mm, .22, and maybe some others. Ive never looked into under or oversized expanders for them, no need to for me. I understand why you were hoping it was a bushing die, that really sounds like what you need.

JTD

Title
    Aha, nice presentation Welcome aboard, i'am also new here and i also will start to ask stupid questions about everything what i will see here!

Last edited by LucasStewart; 05-21-2021 at 07:59 AM.