Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

.30-30 Flat Point Assistance

I will be loading .30-30 Winchester soon. However, the projectiles that I have are Flat Point (plated 150 grain from X-Treme), but the only data I see online for 150 grain is for round nose (and round nose, soft point), so I don't think the COL for those will work for me. At the moment I have some H335 and some IMR4198 remaining - not much of either - but then I only have about 100 cases on hand.

I will be picking up the rifle alter this week - so will find out if he has any factory ammo to go with it. So I figure there are several possible options to determine my COL. If he has factory ammo, I can try to compare the two, and adjust depending on whether or not it is also flat point. Or, I could figure out what I would need to measure off the O-give, but that would still require published data or a reference cartridge to compare against and likely require equipment I don't currently have. Or, I could use the rifle to find out where the projectiles I have engage the lands and back it down from there.

So my question to the group is whether or not anyone has experience with the X-Treme flat point plated 150 grain and can provide any guidance.