Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: new people

Title
    Premium Member

new people

I just cannot hold it in......some of the questions being asked by the newbies....OMG, proof that some people really really shouldn't reload, let alone own a gun.....Im not the sharpest tool ion the shed, I have made some stupid mistakes..... and asked stupid questions.....but there are a few general knowledge points to know....like whether or not you can use a large pistol primer in a 9mm, or if you can use a 38 caliber bullet in a 357......or if you can use a .30 caliber bullet in both a 308 and a 30-06..........and I see these types of questions over and over again.......when they all bought the equipment and components, to where no one can find anything ( dont go looking for a 4 hole lee turret.....$50 plus) did none of them think to buy and read a reloading manual? I mean, looking at some of the questions....how do they remember how to breathe? Ok, rant over, just had to get it off my chest

Similar Threads:

Title
    The Big Tomato in the Biggest Bowl of Granola
    Lord Grumps Alot:
    They are examples of why one needs to "Don't Worry, Be Happy" and breath.
    Sometimes, the person JUST DOESN'T GET IT!

Most of us have started by asking "Stupid Questions". After a while, they learn.

Differentiating between "Dumb", "Smart", and "Wise" People.
    A Dumb person keeps wondering why their thumb hurts so much when they are working with a hammer and nails.
    A Smart person makes the connection between their thumb hurts after they miss the nail and decides to try to not hit their thumb.
    A Wise person watches the Dumb and Smart people. They decide to learn from the Smart Person's experience and try to not hit their thumb.

Yes, we have people who keep asking "Dumb" questions that the standard answer is RTFM!
    I feel that we need to be more considerate as "Smart" and or "Wise" people to encourage the Newbies to investigate other resources, such as manuals or some of the different websites run by the component makers. (Powder or Projectiles)

Title
    Premium Member
    Ive gotten to where I’m at by trial and error, and hanging out in gun shops listening to the old timers, and reading a lot.

Now day, the days of instant gratification, lure people to the internet for everything. I don’t fault them for it, it is the way of the world now. People want to be spoon fed.

I pick and choose who I answer and how I answer. Many I just scroll on by. It is what it is, I just don’t let it get to me.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Jeffrey DeGraff, I have my books, I do the math for some things, ask questions of what I consider the brain collective, lol, and I am not denying that is the way most of us work. I didnt want to blow up on the FB page, thats why I did it here. I answer questions, offer advice, to the best of my own knowledge and experience.....maybe I expect too much, when I started loading, it took me a year to get the equipment to start, and for some reason, there were things I already knew. ( like 30-06 and 308 take the same diameter bullet) Some of the questions just got to me.

Last edited by lordgrumpsalot; 04-12-2021 at 07:09 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Paul, I agree, you stated my position a whole lot better than I did.... I help where and when I can with my own limited knowledge......and in all honesty I learn best, from watching, listening to others..... I do not deny that is an excellent way, asking questions another excellent way to learn. Like I stated in my reply to Jeffrey DeGraff, somehow there were things I already knew when I started. Some of the questions lately just got to me, scary questions if a person thinks about it, like should this person really own a gun. Yes, I know they ask questions because they don't know......I just let them get to me......