Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Title
    Yeah, the wood grips in the classic S&W style were a must have and the 6" barrel was preferred. The Hogue grips are great if you're shooting quite a few rounds of .357 in one day, but just don't quite have the same 'eye candy' appeal IMHO. The bonus is having to work up loads for 2 more calibers.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maudib View Post
    Yeah, the wood grips in the classic S&W style were a must have and the 6" barrel was preferred. The Hogue grips are great if you're shooting quite a few rounds of .357 in one day, but just don't quite have the same 'eye candy' appeal IMHO. The bonus is having to work up loads for 2 more calibers.
    2 calibers?

JTD

Title
    Going to shoot primarily 38 Special and mix it up with a bit of 357 Mag every now & then. I've already started reading up on the various bullet choices there are for those two. Caliber is the wrong word choice, my bad. Two different cartridges.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maudib View Post
    Going to shoot primarily 38 Special and mix it up with a bit of 357 Mag every now & then. I've already started reading up on the various bullet choices there are for those two. Caliber is the wrong word choice, my bad. Two different cartridges.
    I thought that’s what you meant, but wanted to make sure.

About 10 years ago, I quit shooting 38’s out of my 357, and 44 special out of my 44 mag. I decided to do this after talking to some people and digging around online. It’s been really nice, just keeping up with one type of brass per revolver. I just load 38 special loads in 357 magnum brass, and have great light plinking loads. This way clean up of the cylinder is easier and no carbon ring build up.

JTD

Title
    That makes quite a bit of sense. 357 Mag cases are a bit hard to come by these days, so I already bought some 38 special a few months back in anticipation of adding a 357 revolver. Who knows, I may end up with another in 38sp only!

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    I thought that’s what you meant, but wanted to make sure.

About 10 years ago, I quit shooting 38’s out of my 357, and 44 special out of my 44 mag. I decided to do this after talking to some people and digging around online. It’s been really nice, just keeping up with one type of brass per revolver. I just load 38 special loads in 357 magnum brass, and have great light plinking loads. This way clean up of the cylinder is easier and no carbon ring build up.

JTD
    I’ve done this same thing from the start. Never had a use for loading any special brass in both my revolvers. Light loads load and shoot just fine in magnum brass. Got a few buckets of .38 special brass around because I use to shoot a fair bit of it, but never been reloaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I like Ruger revolvers for their toughness. Saw an idiot shoot a bunch of double loads through his Ruger Alaskan. Think it was a Cassull. He also hammered a bunch of squibs out of the barrel. A Colt or Smith would have lost the topstrap & cylinder. The shooter would have found them in his skull.
    I have a GP 100 in .44 Special & a Match Champion in .357 Mag. Like them both. Did buy a Smith 617 to try the trigger out. Didn’t figure .22 lr would shred the topstrap. Seen a ton of peeled revolvers in pics, but no Rugers.