Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

FL sizing for AR’s

Ive read somewhere, to bump shoulders back 4-6 thousandths for AR cartridges. Last night I was sizing some 223 brass for my 223wylde. With 1/4 turn camover, the shoulders were bumped .010”. With no cam over the shoulders were .002”. With minimal cam over the shoulders were bumped .007”, so I left it like that. How far do you guys bump the shoulders on your 223 AR brass?

JTD

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    Ive read somewhere, to bump shoulders back 4-6 thousandths for AR cartridges. Last night I was sizing some 223 brass for my 223wylde. With 1/4 turn camover, the shoulders were bumped .010”. With no cam over the shoulders were .002”. With minimal cam over the shoulders were bumped .007”, so I left it like that. How far do you guys bump the shoulders on your 223 AR brass?

JTD
    I've never measured how much bump, what I usually do is spin my die in till it makes contact lower the ram and give it an 1/8 turn more and lock the die down, never had any issues in any of my AR's

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Hey y'all! Watch this! Hold my beer!"

Title
    Premium Member
    I have yet to reload for any AR seriously. At one point I did load up a few for a cousin’s AR and had no issue running them through it. I really had just set up the FL die to Lee’s directions. I was surprised that his rifle ran even starting loads perfectly in the small test we did. I’m not much help, but I may end up loading for AR’s again here soon. Have a couple big bags of FMJs I’ve been holding onto since about 2011 that may get loaded at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I cleaned my AR up last night and ran a few rounds through manually. They all fit and extracted ok. I did notice some scuffs in the web area of the cases, which may or may not cause a problem when the weapon heats up and gets dirty. I’m going to leave my first initial batch of test loads the way they are and see how they function, but the rest will get sized a little more. Time to quit over thinking this one.

JTD