Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 45 Colt

Title
    Premium Member
    Great caliber, great history. Thank you both for sharing something that I know very little about.

"Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"

Title
    110 miles north of Texarkana in the green hell
    Flyer .

Some tidbits amassed from many forums and probably weeks of reading over the last 30 years .
    The 45 Colts most likely was saddled with Long Colts because it was commonly used to separate it from the shorter 45 S&W "Schofield" . Briefly something like 1887-89' the Army also had a cartridge intended to cure the supply chain difficulty of the 45 S&W's larger rim dia in the SAA Colts . It was the correct length for the S&W Schofield pistol with the smaller dia rim for the SAA Colts and allowed enough purchase for the ejector to function in the S&W. It was effectively a Short Colts .
    Most users wanted the Longer Colts cartridge .
    So in the company of CASS &SASS as well as collectors you'll get beat up if you call it a 45 Long Colts . It doesn't end there though they will also argue about the Colts vs Colt's vs Colt . In my mind since Mom's 1917 Colts built on a 1905 frame is plainly marked Colts manufacturing I would have to draw the conclusion that Sam Colt wanted it to be Colts' possession plural not Colt's possession singular . This is made more likely by the lingering proper English and the common teaching of Latin in Highschool . It then became just Colts plural as the ' was dropped because print cost per letter or character . That happened long before the 1873 SAA probably closer to 1848 .

Now I've shared my otherwise useless information .

Title
    Premium Member
    I did a little playing around recently with my Super Blackhawk 45 Colt. I have a mess of Xtreme 255gr FN plated bullets I got from Wes. 8.6 Gr of unique with those Xtremes is a beautiful combination out of that Ruger.

JTD

Title
    when u said light loads my thinking was my cowboy action loads. Ya'lls def. of light is a bit different than mine.
    200 grain cast bullet over about 6 grains Trail Boss...sadly gone for now.....you can go to 5.5 but it sux, 6 grains ignites better,and I like that I can see them large grains in that large case while setting the bullet in place.

..most of u won't like this load it smokes the cases but...it's light !!
    mike cox

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by throckmorton View Post
    when u said light loads my thinking was my cowboy action loads. Ya'lls def. of light is a bit different than mine.
    200 grain cast bullet over about 6 grains Trail Boss...sadly gone for now.....you can go to 5.5 but it sux, 6 grains ignites better,and I like that I can see them large grains in that large case while setting the bullet in place.

..most of u won't like this load it smokes the cases but...it's light !!
    mike cox
    My 5.5gr trailboss with 250gr cast load is right on par with your favorite cowboy load

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    110 miles north of Texarkana in the green hell
    Not really Colts I've been dabbling in 45 S&W . 5.5 Unique or 6 Herco under a 451-228 NEI SWC.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter View Post
    Not really Colts I've been dabbling in 45 S&W . 5.5 Unique or 6 Herco under a 451-228 NEI SWC.
    I wish I still had my Herco, I really like that powder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk