Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: 30/30

Title

30/30

just getting into reloading myself and going to start with 30/30. I will mainly be loading hunting rounds and target rounds for me and my son to shoot at our range.
    How do you decide on powder and projectile for 30/30? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Title
    if you already have a favorite factory round maybe start with that bullet weight. Otherwise I would suggest just starting with what you can find right now. If you want "Plinking Ammo" there is load data for subsonic 160gr using lead cast bullets and trailboss. Personally, I would use the 160gr FTX bullet because I like them

[COLOR="#0000FF"][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Get into reloading to save money they said....[/FONT][/COLOR] :p:p:p:p ....

Title
    I start with my reloading manuals. They have multiple powder options for each bullet. Some authors tell you what worked best for them in the preface to that cartridge. Some have an asterisk next to the best load. Some place them in order from best to worst performance. Somewhere in the book they tell you how they noted it. Then I look for velocity or to see if a powder I already use is a good one. Then I load up test loads.

Title
    Premium Member
    Like big al said, I start with my loading manuals. I look at the powders that will give me the velocity I think I want. Sometimes I pick a powder that is a known performer for the certain caliber. For 30-30, IMR3031 immediately comes to mind. Right now, with powder supplies the way they are, I’d pick whatever I could get my hands on.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I am working on loading for my 30-30 for the first time too. I picked out some bullets I wanted to try then went to my manuals for possible powders to use. I shot quite a few test loads over the weekend and I have narrowed my bullet selection down to 125gr Sierra hp, 160gr ftx, and 180 nosler RN. I think I am going to go with the 125gr HP.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I bought some pulled 30-30 bullets from Wes long ago, back when he was struggling with phat inventory, no margin and no sales. Believe it or not, there were days when stuff was everywhere --- And here we are.... I 2nd IMR3031. Since you are new, not ANY powder will do, you have to get one that is in one of your manuals or a manual somewhere. I run 150 & 180 gr, Round Nose (RN) bullet. Watch for brass neck splitting, I see that with 30-30 more than anything else. Don't know why.