Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

357 Sig reloading question. Lee dies

Question for 357 Sig reloaders. I normally resize with the 40 die and then switch to 357 Sig die so I don't need lube the cases. I'm have issues with getting scratches on the bottom of my brass after using the 357 Sig die. I've replaced the die with a new one and it just started doing it again after sizing 200 cases. Should I switch to lubing the cases and using only the 357 Sig die? All brass is super clean (wet tumbled) as well so it's not dirty brass. This is with Lee dies btw. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    Ive never loaded 357sig before, but I have a friend who does. He does the same as you with the 40 die first, followed by the 357 die. The first thing I would try is cleaning your 357 die out and then run some through with lube.

JTD

Title
    A shipment of 125 grain JHP from Montana Gold is on it's way and is overdue to be delivered by the USPS. A set of the Lee 357 Sig dies are going to be used for loading my first batch of that caliber, so I will let you know if the same issue happens with the cases getting scratched using those dies. I have a mix of once fired and brand new cases to choose from for testing, so any scratching should be easily noticeable when using the new brass.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maudib View Post
    A shipment of 125 grain JHP from Montana Gold is on it's way and is overdue to be delivered by the USPS. A set of the Lee 357 Sig dies are going to be used for loading my first batch of that caliber, so I will let you know if the same issue happens with the cases getting scratched using those dies. I have a mix of once fired and brand new cases to choose from for testing, so any scratching should be easily noticeable when using the new brass.
    I now use case lube. Polished the dies and they are fine now.

Title
    Thank you for the update and what you did to fix the case scratching problem.

I sidestepped problems with 357 SIG brass by using a Redding push through die. Of course, the die will work also 40 caliber and 10mm. This push through sizes more of the case.

It's best to have pictures of the scratches. One can get to the heart of the problem PDQ with a picture.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mowgli Terry View Post
    It's best to have pictures of the scratches. One can get to the heart of the problem PDQ with a picture.
    Problem solved (old post). I lube the cases and size with the 357 Sig die vs the 40 die. Works better for me.