Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title

Issue thats got me stumped

New to reloading, just did my first batches of pistol to test out. Going to list info on the loads then explain issue.

115gr Xtreme HP with TG powder

OAL 1.090 as specced in Lyman

Powder charges 1 set at 3.8 other at 4.0

124gr Xtreme HP with TG powder.

OAL 1.14

Powder charges also 3.8 and 4.0 gr

Shooting outside at about 40-45F

Shot the 115 @ 3.8gr first. Fine

115 @4.0 squib, right at start of rifling in the barrel. Came out fairly easy. A couple cycled then squib every time, right as bullet got fully into the rifling, no further.

124 up next, both sets 0 issue (fired really nice).

So I was confused as hell. Assumed maybe I labeled them wrong in the box. Came home, grabbed a few more of each 115gr load. Went to indoor range this time. NOT A SINGLE ISSUE!!!

Seems my scale was off on calibration because the 4.0s I could tell were firing a bit soft and not grouping for shit. Actually neither was great, but 4.0gr load was noticeable on recoil.

But what's got me is I didn't think it was cold enough to screw with my case pressures that much. They keep it at like 68 at the indoor range, so 20ish degrees.

Any insight, be great if someone could give me a break down because my Google foo is sucking for this issue.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    No way the temp did that. Most likely the squib rounds didn’t get powder. A primer would push the round to the lands like that.

It’s surprising how easy it can be to miss powder on a couple rounds when you’re new. Especially if you’re using a single stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    This was more than a couple. 4 total. I grabbed 20 more out of that bag and every one was fine at the indoor range. That's what threw me off.

Seemed like more than primer only (smoke) but obviously way less than a full charge. I was playing with seeing how flake powder did in my uniflow so wonder if little to nothing dropped and as you said, I didn't catch it.

But makes me feel better, was my error not paying attention to the load going in. Guess I need to keep a rod with me for now. Thankfully range had a mallet and rod for this purpose.

Title
    Premium Member
    I’m thinking the same thing, no powder on the squibs.

As far as the 4.0 load shooting soft, Ive had this happen when powder was leaking out, between the funnel or powder throw, and not all of it getting in the case. Just a thought.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I use TG in my 9mm. I have shot the same powder charge in temps from 15 degrees Fahrenheit to 110 degrees Fahrenheit. I have never noticed a difference. I agree that there was not enough or no powder in those cases.

Currently reloading for .380 ACP, 9MM,327 Federal Mag, 38 Special, .357 Mag, 40 S&W, 44 Mag, 45 ACP, .458 Socom, .223 Remington, 22-250,7MM Remington Mag, 30-06 and 340 Weatherby Mag, 50 Beowolf

Title
    Premium Member
    It’s a good idea to look in your cases before seating a bullet. That way you can see if each has the same level of powder. Some powders can bridge in your powder measure, and give you a very light charge on one case, and an over charge on the next.

JTD

Title
    Ah thanks for the info. Sounds like wasn't watching closely enough and got really light/no charge.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Ah thanks for the info. Sounds like wasn't watching closely enough and got really light/no charge.

I bet that is the case, are you loading on a single stage or turret?

JTD

Title
    Single stage with uniflow. New to this obviously and I'm guessing I wasn't paying attention well enough

Title
    Premium Member
    Sounds like you’ve found the problem. Don’t worry about it though, we all make mistakes. At least you didn’t get hurt or damage anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk