Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

Optimum 300 BLK projectile for southern whitetail and pigs

I have been shooting pigs and deer down here in Mississippi with 125gr SSTs but I want to shoot larger, slower (and quieter) projectiles. Doesn’t have to be subsonic. I’m using CFE BLK for powder. 9” barrel w/ suppressor

What are y’all using?

I have 100x 180gr SSTs to try but I wanted to see if anyone else has good results with something else.

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    The problem you are going to run into is expansion. The 180gr Sst is not designed to expand at such a low velocity. You will need to find a 300 blackout specific bullet, like the 150 gold dot, Hornady 190gr sub-x, or something like that.

Ive killed quite a few animals with the 110 Barnes TAC tx, but have pretty much stopped using the 300 blackout for hunting.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester1985 View Post
    I have been shooting pigs and deer down here in Mississippi with 125gr SSTs but I want to shoot larger, slower (and quieter) projectiles. Doesn’t have to be subsonic. I’m using CFE BLK for powder. 9” barrel w/ suppressor

What are y’all using?

I have 100x 180gr SSTs to try but I wanted to see if anyone else has good results with something else.
    I have been wondering about heavier hunting bullets myself. I have some 180gr Hornady hp match I have been thinking about, or maybe 168 amax. The amax isnt a hunting bullet, but I had good luck with it on deer in my 6.5x55. I also have some of the 190gr subx. Just need to load up a few test loads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Two out of three deer this season dropped on the spot, both hogs ran less than 25 yards.

I dug out the last 125gr SST and the core was separated from the jacket. None of them overpenetrated.

I shot some deer last year here with 6.5 grendel but it was overkill - left a nice blood trail.

At 50 yards typical range here I can always put it through both lungs and most of the time through the heart so I’m not overly concerned with expansion.

Title
    Premium Member
    I haven’t tried any heavier bullets for hunting, so anything I say will be purely speculation. If I were to try something heavier, I think I would maybe try the Hornady 160gr ftx, the Hornady 168 or 178 eld bullets, maybe even a nosler partition because they are pretty soft on the front end. If your rifle would cycle a RN bullet, that would be rather fun.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muforester View Post
    I have been wondering about heavier hunting bullets myself. I have some 180gr Hornady hp match I have been thinking about, or maybe 168 amax. The amax isnt a hunting bullet, but I had good luck with it on deer in my 6.5x55. I also have some of the 190gr subx. Just need to load up a few test loads.

I have shot mule deer with 140 gr AMAX in my .260 rem with no issue also. I say send em.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester1985 View Post
    I have shot mule deer with 140 gr AMAX in my .260 rem with no issue also. I say send em.
    That is exactly what I was shooting in my 6.5x55, 140 amax. Devastating on deer.

Title
    Premium Member
    I have been loading a 160 grain gas checked round nose cast from wheel weights out of my 300 sized .309 over imr4198. Does a good smack down of hogs out to 100 yards. Have not recovered a bullet nor shot a deer with it.

Title
    Premium Member
    Maybe give the 30-30 bullets a try. Hornady mkes several flat nose,30-30 specific bullets of >171grs for the powder capacity thing. --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    Maybe give the 30-30 bullets a try. Hornady mkes several flat nose,30-30 specific bullets of >171grs for the powder capacity thing. --- SAWMAN
    SAWMAN!!!! You’re back!!!

JTD