Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member
    I loaded some 7.5x55 today, with the Frankford seating die. I snugged the die down and adjusted the micrometer to the setting I used on my initial tests. The loaded rounds came out .003” long. I feel like the variance may be caused by the lock ring, so I am going to replace the factory lock ring with a Hornady one. The loaded rounds all came out very consistent with each other, just not consistent with the initial batch I loaded.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    That still seems pretty good for a universal seater. I’ve never used one, but that seems better than I figured it would do, even if 0.003” longer than what you were going for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    I loaded some 7.5x55 today, with the Frankford seating die. I snugged the die down and adjusted the micrometer to the setting I used on my initial tests. The loaded rounds came out .003” long. I feel like the variance may be caused by the lock ring, so I am going to replace the factory lock ring with a Hornady one. The loaded rounds all came out very consistent with each other, just not consistent with the initial batch I loaded.

JTD
    Thanks for the update! This is an intriguing idea and I am glad to hear your input.

"Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbotto View Post
    That still seems pretty good for a universal seater. I’ve never used one, but that seems better than I figured it would do, even if 0.003” longer than what you were going for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You are right, .003” is not a lot, but if it changes a little each time, that’s enough to drive me bonkers. It wasn’t hard to adjust for though, so there is that.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyeralan View Post
    Thanks for the update! This is an intriguing idea and I am glad to hear your input.
    Next time I go to Cabelas, I’m going to pick up a six pack of Hornady lock rings. Hopefully they will do the trick. I’ll keep updating as I go.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Jeffery, I am seriously considering putting this on my Christmas list. I load a lot of rifle loads that I do not crimp and this seems to be a great idea. I am a precision nut, turn necks for a few of my rifles to get consistent tension and this seems like a good fit. One of my calibers is .204 and there is no sleeve for that so I think I am going to hold off for the moment. Are you aware of any options or plans for a .204 option for this die?

"Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyeralan View Post
    Jeffery, I am seriously considering putting this on my Christmas list. I load a lot of rifle loads that I do not crimp and this seems to be a great idea. I am a precision nut, turn necks for a few of my rifles to get consistent tension and this seems like a good fit. One of my calibers is .204 and there is no sleeve for that so I think I am going to hold off for the moment. Are you aware of any options or plans for a .204 option for this die?
    I haven’t heard or seen anything about extra/different parts coming down the pike. I’m curious if the would have to include a new seating stem for any sub 22 calibers if they offered a sleeve.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I loaded a new batch of 257 Roberts AI last night. I set the micrometer to the previous setting I had used on the original test loads. Once again my rounds were .003” long. Just like with the 7.5x55. The final test will be on the next time I load both of those calibers. If the seating depth changes again next time I will be disappointed. Stay tuned.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Alright. Ive been able to use the universal seating die some more and have my final thoughts on it. Ive loaded 7.5x55 (2 different bullets), 257 Roberts, 257 ackley, and 300 savage, 2 to 3 times each since my last post. The die works very well, the settings have been repeatable and the micrometer adjustments are precise. It works great for testing seating depths, and when taken off and put back on the press, the adjustments are dead on. So, needless to say, I am very happy with this die and would definitely recommend it.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    Alright. Ive been able to use the universal seating die some more and have my final thoughts on it. Ive loaded 7.5x55 (2 different bullets), 257 Roberts, 257 ackley, and 300 savage, 2 to 3 times each since my last post. The die works very well, the settings have been repeatable and the micrometer adjustments are precise. It works great for testing seating depths, and when taken off and put back on the press, the adjustments are dead on. So, needless to say, I am very happy with this die and would definitely recommend it.

JTD
    Great to hear! How did switching up the lock ring go? Any noticeable differences in consistency, batch to batch?