Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title

500 Automax Hornady taper crimp die - boy am I out of practice;-)

I have a Lee classic Turret press, the 3 piece RCBS 500 S&W Magnum die set (with roller crimp die) and Hornady 500 S&W taper crimp die. I am at the seating/crimping stage of my first 500 Automax loads. I am using Starline brass (from spent Steinel factory ammo), large rifle magnum primers, Ramshot Enforcer power, and Montana Bullet Works 430 grain 500 S&W WFNCG (Wide Flat Nose Gas Check) projectiles. The Hornady taper crimp die is a single piece die with an adjusting nut. Instructions are simple - put a loaded case on the shell holder extend the ram fully, screw the die down until there is resistance. From there drop the ram, then adjust the die downward at quarter turn intervals while extending the ram up, then down and measure the OAL. On loaddata.com, shootersreference.com and elsewhere when looking at load data for 440 WFNGC for rifle (not for pistol) I see OAL of 2.1". I have turned the die down almost all the way and can't get the OAL under 2 3/16".

As mentioned above I am way out of practice - it has likely been at least 5 years since I last reloaded. Heck I couldn't remember how to zero out my powder scale (RTFM helped;-). Should I toss this round and try another one, backing the die out a few turns? I'm guessing I'm not going to get to my desired OAL leaving the die where it is. Thanks much for any assistance!

Steve

Similar Threads:

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by nsavan9 View Post
    I have a Lee classic Turret press, the 3 piece RCBS 500 S&W Magnum die set (with roller crimp die) and Hornady 500 S&W taper crimp die. I am at the seating/crimping stage of my first 500 Automax loads. I am using Starline brass (from spent Steinel factory ammo), large rifle magnum primers, Ramshot Enforcer power, and Montana Bullet Works 430 grain 500 S&W WFNCG (Wide Flat Nose Gas Check) projectiles. The Hornady taper crimp die is a single piece die with an adjusting nut. Instructions are simple - put a loaded case on the shell holder extend the ram fully, screw the die down until there is resistance. From there drop the ram, then adjust the die downward at quarter turn intervals while extending the ram up, then down and measure the OAL. On loaddata.com, shootersreference.com and elsewhere when looking at load data for 440 WFNGC for rifle (not for pistol) I see OAL of 2.1". I have turned the die down almost all the way and can't get the OAL under 2 3/16".

As mentioned above I am way out of practice - it has likely been at least 5 years since I last reloaded. Heck I couldn't remember how to zero out my powder scale (RTFM helped;-). Should I toss this round and try another one, backing the die out a few turns? I'm guessing I'm not going to get to my desired OAL leaving the die where it is. Thanks much for any assistance!

Steve
    a new wrinkle if you will: I tried another loaded case and it seems that the RCBS sizing die is making the case mouth too wide for the Hornady taper crimp die - I can't bring the ram fully up into the taper crimp die with it threaded down in the turret. I filled out the email form on the RCBS site.

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by nsavan9 View Post
    a new wrinkle if you will: I tried another loaded case and it seems that the RCBS sizing die is making the case mouth too wide for the Hornady taper crimp die - I can't bring the ram fully up into the taper crimp die with it threaded down in the turret. I filled out the email form on the RCBS site.
    And....I checked the outer diameter of the expanded brass - it is 9/16". I also reached out to Hornady support, we'll see what they have to say but I believe it to be the case that the products just aren't compatible. And there just aren't a lot of options right now for 500 S&W Magnum taper crimp dies.

Title
    Premium Member
    I had bad luck with the RCBS carbide die and 500 Auto. It was shaving my cases rather than sizing them and the carbide ring broke. I got a replacement and the same thing happened again. I got a Lee sizing die and had no problems.

As to your original question... You are asking for advice on setting up a Crimp die, but are trying to adjust the OAL. Your crimp die shouldn't mess with the OAL. It is just a crimp die and not a seat and crimp die. OAL should be set by your seating die. You should be setting the taper crimp die down just low enough to remove the case flair from your Expanding die, and enough crimp to hold the bullet in place, though "neck" tension is likely enough for this, so long as the sizing die is properly sizing the cases.