Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title

Hornady 230 grn XTP .45 ACP

A while back I bought some 230 grn XTP's in .45ACP. Loaded thousands of 124 grn in 9MM and not one issue. I've loaded thousands and thousands of .45ACP FMJ's and JHP's so I pulled out my Lee book and l started a ladder test with WIN231. Loaded to 1.200 COL..plunked good in my barrel. Had trouble with the feeding on my Sig 220 and my 1911. The 1911 didn't surprise me, 1911's are for good old round ball but the Sig kinda did. So I finally got good feeding in the Sig but I was down to 1.18 COL. No signs of over pressure at 4.7 grns which was the highest I went. Been leaving it alone since, but would kind of like to load them up. Anybody have any experience or thoughts?

Title
    Premium Member
    Maybe check your feed ramp in your 1911. I've never had an issue feeding in my Colt Series 80 Govt Mod, Para P12, or STI Spartan. I've ran thousands of rounds of 200gr LSWC through all of these guns and if any bullet is gonna have a feed issue that would be the one.

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser View Post
    Maybe check your feed ramp in your 1911. I've never had an issue feeding in my Colt Series 80 Govt Mod, Para P12, or STI Spartan. I've ran thousands of rounds of 200gr LSWC through all of these guns and if any bullet is gonna have a feed issue that would be the one.
    Feed ramps are all good. I keep thinking maybe its the combination of the profile of the XTP bullet and COL. All my reloading books show a 1.20-1.235 OAL.

Title
    Premium Member
    1.180” is not a bad OAL. If that’s what it takes to feed, then roll with it. Ive got a kahr cw45 that has a short throat and has to be loaded short like that. luckily my seating depths for it still feed in my glock30 and my Dan Wesson pointman.

JTD