Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Frankford arsenal m press

Anyone here using the frankford arsenal m press? Ive been using a rock chucker 2 since 1991, I’ve got a rock chucker 4 that I’ve never used, but I’ve got the hankering for something new. I’m going to be building a new bench soon and thought the m press might be a great new addition. I load precision rifle, hunting rifle, and handgun ammo I’ve always used a single stage. All of my dies are set for the rock chucker 2 which would be the main reason I would talk myself out of a new press. So I guess my question would be, would it be worth readjusting 60 sets of dies for a new press?

JTD

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    I had my eye for a while too, since I’m starting to see wear on my single stage lee (probably my fault). I’ve stopped looking for now though because the APP does most everything the challenger was doing. I’d still like to get another single stage, but it’s a ways down the road.

Title
    I don't have a FA M-press but I looked them over pretty closely when they first came out. I think for a bit more cash (and a little luck in finding one in stock) I'd go with the Forster Co-ax over the FA. My next single stage press will probably be a Co-ax. Something to consider for someone who loads a bunch of calibers is that with the FA, you'll need to buy a $5 die block for each die...that can add up fast when you're talking about 60+ sets of dies!

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbaker78 View Post
    I had my eye for a while too, since I’m starting to see wear on my single stage lee (probably my fault). I’ve stopped looking for now though because the APP does most everything the challenger was doing. I’d still like to get another single stage, but it’s a ways down the road.
    I think my rock chucker is still running strong. Just got the itch.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cynjon View Post
    I don't have a FA M-press but I looked them over pretty closely when they first came out. I think for a bit more cash (and a little luck in finding one in stock) I'd go with the Forster Co-ax over the FA. My next single stage press will probably be a Co-ax. Something to consider for someone who loads a bunch of calibers is that with the FA, you'll need to buy a $5 die block for each die...that can add up fast when you're talking about 60+ sets of dies!
    Those die blocks definitely make me wary. Ive played with the idea of a Forster coax for many many years, and then when FA came out with theirs, it made me start thinking again. Ive also been looking at that mec single stage.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    It looks like the die rings for the coax are also around $3-5 each too. The M press comes in at around 1/3 the price of the coax also.

I have a few other FA products that I like, and this looks like it’s pretty well built, so it might not be a bad option. But if you already have a good working press, I’d stick with that.

Title
    Yes, if you buy the Forster lock rings, you are correct. However, from what I've read (I have never used a Co-Ax), the lock rings from other companies, including Hornady, work as well. In my case, I have changed most of my dies over to Hornady lock rings over the years just because I prefer them, so I'm already ahead of the game there. On the other hand, the FA die block is proprietary and only available through FA as far as I know.

I'm with you though...I don't see my Rockchucker IV wearing out any time soon, especially since I do my bulk loading on my Dillon and I have a Lee APP for the grunt work of processing pistol and .223 brass in volume.

Title
    Premium Member
    I think standard lock rings work on the coax also.

The things you guys are bringing up are all things that have run through my mind. The FA is substantially cheaper, and I have been enjoying a lot of the products they have been bringing out. I use the FA prep and trim station, hand deprimer, hand primer, and Intellidropper, all of which are great products as far as I’m concerned. That’s why I keep thinking about their press too, but those damn die blocks.

The Forster coax has been the gold standard since I’ve been reloading, price and availability are it’s only two downfalls.

JTD

My Experience: You need to qualify exactly which rings work for Co-Ax. I have had a Co-Ax for many years-1970's. In fact, mine is a Bonanza. It is a good quality press. The press is greatly over-advertised mainly on the net. I will not buy anything FA or any other brand from Midway. I have a strong bias for anything painted green-as in RCBS.

Title
    Premium Member
    Well, I did end up buying the Frankford M press. Midway had it on sale a couple months ago for $111. I haven’t used it yet because I’m in the process of building a new bench and am waiting to set it up once that project is complete.

I also picked up a lee classic turret press at the same time, it was on sale too.

JTD