Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title

Reduced power 30-06 200 yard load?

I am trying to come up with a reduced load for 168 gr. HPBT for my 03A3. I will be shooting 200 yards but don't really need full power knock your shoulder off with that steel butt plate loads. Has anyone done any kind of experimenting with this kind of load?

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    There are loads using Unique - I really do not like to put up load data - there are loads listed in some of the reloading manuals - I do not have that rifle but in my 30-06 bolt. My range is only 100 yards and I get good groups cover with a quarter. Lets put it this way less than 14 grns of powder.

Forgot to mention this is shooting 170 grn cast lead bullets

Last edited by Andyt2; 07-06-2020 at 02:48 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    I am also about to try some reduced loads, but in 7x57, for my 10 year old. Speer lists SR4759 for their reduced load, IMR4227 and IMR4198 should also make good reduced loads. I have old published data from DuPont that lists those powders, but can’t locate it at the moment. Ive used some of that DuPont data in the past with success. Another route you could go is H4895. On Hogdgon’s website they say you can take the max charge of H4895, multiply it by .6 and use that as your starting load. I did the H4895 trick for my other sons 7.62x54R and got acceptable results at 100yds. If I find my DuPont pamphlets I will send some pictures.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    This is from the 1978 DuPont pamphlet. It lists 150gr and 180gr. The loads listed are maximums, recommended to reduce by 10%. The 4227 load looks interesting to me. Hope this helps.

JTD