Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

150gr E-tips/ .30-06

I’ve been bitten by the lead-free bug for hunting rifles in the past couple years and have successfully worked up some good and accurate loads that have proven effective for me. This isn’t the thread to discuss the lead vs non-lead theories so I’d appreciate it if it stayed out of this thread.

To start, this particular combination started when I found the right deal on some factory seconds at a great price last year. Since assembling my .338-06 I have left the .30-06 home on many range trips and days afield. I decided to start back up with this, earlier this spring and gave these a try. I chose Varget as it’s a powder I buy in bulk for other cartridges I reload. I like it because it works similarly for me in the heat of summer as well as the cold temps in November while I’m hunting. The rifle I shoot in .30-06 is a plain-Jane Stevens 200 (Savage 110) topped with a basic Redfield Revolution 3-9x40. It’s a rather light rifle and as such I’ve never shot it all that well but can usually manage around an average of 1.5” with my previous loads. As long as I can do that, I’m happy but always trying for better.

With mono-metal bullets such as these E-Tips, speed will always increase performance as Nosler reccomends 1800fps or faster for reliable performance. I started my load tests with 0.5 grain steps from Hodgdon’s recommended starting load of 46.0gr all the way to 49.0gr where I switched to .2gr steps as Hodgdon lists 49.5 as max. Starting at book length of 3.300”

I did the tests in two range trips, essentially doing the lower half one day and the second half on the second trip. The lower half I was less interested in but didn’t stun me by any means. The second trip yielded better results. I can’t honestly say if the unimpressive groups are because the rifle doesn’t like this bullet that well or if it’s simply a case of me having a bad day with this rifle. I’m honest about my relationship with this rifle, in that I have shot plenty of sub-1” groups with this rifle but it hasn’t ever been the rule. It smacks me harder than I’d like and at this point it’s a mental thing for me.

This picture shows the results from the second range trip. It shows promise for the 48.5gr and the higher end 49.4gr group. This rifle has never been this picky, so I can’t believe there is that much discrepancy between charge weights. I just found another deal on some more of these bullets so I feel a bit better starting on my last box knowing I have 200 more on the way.

Thanks to JTD for suggesting I start this thread as I like the idea of cataloging my load tests in one place.

I’d be happy to hear thoughts and suggestions as I go along down this post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    Went through my phone and came up with this picture of the completed round.

Title
    Premium Member
    48.5 and 49.4 definitely show promise. Playing with your seating depth may tighten those groups up. I’m at that point with several rifles right now, my 30-06 actually being one of them. I have a load that is plenty adequate for deer hunting but am trying to tighten it up a little by adjusting seating depth.

On a side note, I wonder if changing the synthetic stock out to a Boyd’s laminate, would help with the recoil. For $100-$150 it might be worth a shot.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    48.5 and 49.4 definitely show promise. Playing with your seating depth may tighten those groups up. I’m at that point with several rifles right now, my 30-06 actually being one of them. I have a load that is plenty adequate for deer hunting but am trying to tighten it up a little by adjusting seating depth.

On a side note, I wonder if changing the synthetic stock out to a Boyd’s laminate, would help with the recoil. For $100-$150 it might be worth a shot.

JTD
    That’s my thoughts too, but I don’t trust my shooting ability for that last test. I loaded up ten of each 48.5, 49.0, 49.2, and 49.4 tonight and will wait for the next calm day which is a rarity here in western ND.

In regards to the Boyd’s stock, there is no doubt about the recoil absorption of a bit heavier stock. I have a Boyd’s stock for my .338-06 that has worked out very well. Found it on their Rapid Shots page for half of what it would cost to have picked those same options. I’ve looked into them for this rifle too just never went through with it yet.

Title
    Premium Member

150gr E-tips/ .30-06

I’ve been so busy with other things and getting my .243 squared away for my wife that I’ve barely shot anything, much less this problematic load. My wife filled the pronghorn tag yesterday so we’re in a better place. Got out the other night for a quick range session. Made sure it wasn’t me as the loose nut behind the trigger. Here is shown a standard load for me with this rifle on the same day. I left the barrel cool back down and then tested the e-tip load. Same lackluster results as usual. Glad it wasn’t me or the rifle. Back the bench for more tests.

Title
    Premium Member
    Have you played with the seating depth for the etip. That’s not a terrible group. I bet if you try adjusting your seating depth, it would tighten up a bit.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    Have you played with the seating depth for the etip. That’s not a terrible group. I bet if you try adjusting your seating depth, it would tighten up a bit.

JTD
    No I haven’t yet, that’s my next step since I know it’s not my shooting. Ha.

Thanks, It’s not a terrible group and it’s been consistent with this bullet through the basic load development I’ve done. I started with straight from the book specs and overall length. We’ll see how it goes! After I get a pronghorn cut up and in the freezer, I’ve got a couple free nights this week to play on the bench.

Title
    Premium Member
    For my more precision rifles I change seating depths by the .003”. In my hunting rifles I go .005”.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I see it’s been almost a year since I updated this. After buying and moving into a different house this spring I haven’t been set up to reload for much more than a couple weeks. I’m back at it now.

Long story short I bought a Hornady OAL gauge and a comparator set and started working on this load. Only to realize that my load at book COAL was already at the suggested 0.050” jump for this monolithic bullet. It took me a long time to get here. Haha.

Tonight before I decided to mess with more jump from the bullet, I was going to try to change an easy variable so I switched primers on one of the low steps of load development from last year. So I put the same load together as last year, but I loaded 10 of the same Win Large Rifle and 10 with CCI 200’s. Might sneak out to the range tomorrow just to see what it does.

Title
    Premium Member
    Excellent, let us know what the outcome is!

JTD