Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title

Case prep question 223/556

Question from a new rifle reloader.
    I bought a few thousand 223/556 cases from Wes, fully processed. I am having a hard time getting my primers seated all the way. I just bought a Lyman pistol pocket reamer wondering if that will help seat the primers. Is there something I am not doing that I should be doing?

The primers I am using are CCI SRP seated with my RCBS Universal hand primer, they come out either flush or just a hair over and to remedy the problem I put them in my Dillon 550 to get that extra little push. Maybe they are all just right and I am overthinking this?

I have loaded about 1000 rounds so far and I don't see any headspace issues so far, they are going bang. it's just a very very slow process, and I must say I hate loading these because of this problem.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by pistolpeter1911; 05-09-2020 at 03:40 PM.

Title
    I quit using the RCBS for that reason and started suing the Lyman. Not sure if that is your issue, but mine was due to wear not allowing the rod to seat it properly.

Title
    Premium Member
    I have not had a problem priming my processes 223 and 308 brass from Wes, with CCI primers. Muddydawg may be on to something, I have heard of hand primer parts wearing and not seating primers fully.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I have the RCBS Universal hand primer. It works great for everything EXCEPT 45 COLT/454 CASULL(that really small rim)
    Anyway the other night I swapped over from Large primers to Small primers.
    The first 3 cases had HIGH primers! I have NEVER experienced this.
    It was then that I remembered that I didn't tighten down the 4 hex head bolts on top!!!
    Once I tightened them correctly, she ran like a top!
    I've probably primed 50K and this was a first.
    Hope this helps!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk