Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 67 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member
    Those look awesome. I’ll be looking forward to a range report when you get to shoot them.

JTD

Title
    110 miles north of Texarkana in the green hell
    7680.jpeg

First go with a rifle completely disturbed. .
    I take full responsibility for 1" because, well I ain't hardly pulled a trigger in a year . This is a transfer composite overlay target .
    There a / of 8 , the 287-150 NOE over 6.? Unique exclusively used to form the FC 59 Match formed brass and ensure the barrel and scope are pointed at the same place . 25 yd .

There is a group of 5 higher and one below the / group that are with 9.0 Unique with the 7mm-168 @179gr and about 1320 fps . I made a vertical adjustment of about 6" down at 100 and shot the balance at 50 yd.

The next group of 5 is 10.5 gr Unique and clocked 1400 fps . For practical application and my personal faults there's no practical difference in groups . This load showed a little possible sizing fouling that cleaned up with the last load .

The triangle with 2 almost touching at the top is 38.0 of IMR 4831 2030 MV . Made my target velocity and 100 yd energy number .

Barrel temp , being the last string , may play a role here as 2 holes almost touching were after I hauled about 8 gallons of water up for a wasted 48 qt cube cooler to catch a bullet . Yeah that didn't happen there was however a larger than .300 hole in the cooler foam and most of the wall ruptured. I guess I need a longer water tank . It would suggest that inside of 100 yd I don't want to hit a heavy bone going in and the life functions in the chest cavity will be severely compromised . Subjectively of course, it was 2" of foam encased in plastic with 12 gallons of water inside an 18" basin so you know maybe of no value .

It's weird the such diverse loads shot groups so similar. I may have to run a bunch of 270-150s in paper through the beast and try again. I'm encouraged by the 4831 . There's not enough cross section to see growing or shrinking groups but the system should be settled in now and I have a definite starting place .

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter View Post
    7680.jpeg

First go with a rifle completely disturbed. .
    I take full responsibility for 1" because, well I ain't hardly pulled a trigger in a year . This is a transfer composite overlay target .
    There a / of 8 , the 287-150 NOE over 6.? Unique exclusively used to form the FC 59 Match formed brass and ensure the barrel and scope are pointed at the same place . 25 yd .

There is a group of 5 higher and one below the / group that are with 9.0 Unique with the 7mm-168 @179gr and about 1320 fps . I made a vertical adjustment of about 6" down at 100 and shot the balance at 50 yd.

The next group of 5 is 10.5 gr Unique and clocked 1400 fps . For practical application and my personal faults there's no practical difference in groups . This load showed a little possible sizing fouling that cleaned up with the last load .

The triangle with 2 almost touching at the top is 38.0 of IMR 4831 2030 MV . Made my target velocity and 100 yd energy number .

Barrel temp , being the last string , may play a role here as 2 holes almost touching were after I hauled about 8 gallons of water up for a wasted 48 qt cube cooler to catch a bullet . Yeah that didn't happen there was however a larger than .300 hole in the cooler foam and most of the wall ruptured. I guess I need a longer water tank . It would suggest that inside of 100 yd I don't want to hit a heavy bone going in and the life functions in the chest cavity will be severely compromised . Subjectively of course, it was 2" of foam encased in plastic with 12 gallons of water inside an 18" basin so you know maybe of no value .

It's weird the such diverse loads shot groups so similar. I may have to run a bunch of 270-150s in paper through the beast and try again. I'm encouraged by the 4831 . There's not enough cross section to see growing or shrinking groups but the system should be settled in now and I have a definite starting place .
    Outstanding! That 4831 load seems like it would be devastating on whatever it hits.

JTD

Title
    Lots of work to do . 3" at 100 is huge .

Title
    Premium Member
    But it’s a start. I bet you will be able to shrink it up. What is your accuracy goal?

JTD

Title
    The goal is always a .500 hole for 10 rounds , I'll take MOA for 5 , and if 1.5 is all it'll do then it's not all bad and certainly good enough for hogs inside 100 yd .

Title
    Premium Member
    I find that I set different accuracy goals for different rifles. I always want the best, but am willing to accept defeat if I don’t think the rifle is up to it. If I don’t feel comfortable shooting at a critter up to 100yards away with a particular load, then I keep trying.

JTD

Title
    I wrote 3" at 100 those were at 50 yd .

Title
    Premium Member
    Ah! Ok. Now I agree, you’ve got your work cut out for you.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I havent been on for a while. Here is one thing I have been working on, 6mm TCU. Did a few test loads and settled on 90gr Speer Hot-Cor over IMR 4895. Hopefully get to deer hunt with it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk