Page 63 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member
    Let there be 25-06!!!

JTD

Title
    Premium Member

Today at the Bench.....

Went to the range this morning and shot the 7 rounds of 7x57 that I made up with the false shoulder. They stretched but not near as much as I would’ve liked. Using the Forster Datum Dial, the brass before firing measured X.X31”-X.X37”. After firing, the brass now measures X.X38”-X.X44”. I’m guessing an average of .007” stretch, but I need more.

I found some Speer 145gr HPBT Match bullets hiding in the garage. I’m going to use these and load up a little hotter load, and see what happens next. Out of all the brass I have, the Hornady was definitely the shortest, the RP, FC, PPU, and S&B don’t have near as far to stretch to fill the chamber.
    I think I will try 5 pieces of the S&B brass next. I’m going the write down a before and after measurement for each piece to get a better idea of what is happening. After some thinking, I’m going to move the false shoulder out a little more too, make it more of a “crush fit”, and see if that helps too.

On a side note, this load with shoulders all over the place, and a false shoulder formed, shot respectably.

JTD

Last edited by JeffreyDeGraff; 05-14-2022 at 09:35 AM.

OK, this afternoon some 270 Winchester rounds were put together using the 140gr. Hornady SST bullets and Alliant 4000-MR powder. This will be the second loading for the nickel plated WW brass. I found about 100 boxes of the 270 bullets in the Mall Ninja Gun Company here. They did not have much otherwise except this huge pile of 270 bullets.

Also, getting set up to do the first real run using the PrpChronoDLX chronograph. Hooked up to the Smart Phone in an instant. This thing blows the Caldwell's out of the water.

I have some rounds saved back for the Husqvarna 8mm hunting rifle. That a modified M96 action. I had reattached the original scope. On the first outing the old gun made a 2.5" 9 shot group at 100 yards using the tiny iron sights. My experience. so far, is that these Husqvarna sporters are shooters.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mowgli Terry View Post
    OK, this afternoon some 270 Winchester rounds were put together using the 140gr. Hornady SST bullets and Alliant 4000-MR powder. This will be the second loading for the nickel plated WW brass. I found about 100 boxes of the 270 bullets in the Mall Ninja Gun Company here. They did not have much otherwise except this huge pile of 270 bullets.

Also, getting set up to do the first real run using the PrpChronoDLX chronograph. Hooked up to the Smart Phone in an instant. This thing blows the Caldwell's out of the water.

I have some rounds saved back for the Husqvarna 8mm hunting rifle. That a modified M96 action. I had reattached the original scope. On the first outing the old gun made a 2.5" 9 shot group at 100 yards using the tiny iron sights. My experience. so far, is that these Husqvarna sporters are shooters.
    Ive got 2 pounds of 4000MR, I’m curious to see how it performs in your 270, I haven’t tried it in anything yet. I hope my 9.3 husky is as good as your 8mm, still haven’t heard back from my gunsmith.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I loaded up 8 more 7x57 brass with false shoulders again. This time the shoulders are out farther and it is more difficult to close the bolt. I loaded 145gr Speer hpbt match bullets, 46.5gr H414, at 3.010”. The brass (at the shoulder) measures x.x39” to x.x54”, and I have each piece measured and marked so when I measure after firing I can see how much each one has grown.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Your process seems solid, annealing should help the cases form properly. Let us know the results.

"Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"

Title
    Premium Member

Today at the Bench.....

SUCCESS!

Made it to the range this morning, just got through measuring the brass. All eight pieces measured X.X55” -X.X56”. Just what I was hoping for. Ive got 39 more pieces to do this to now, and then work up a load for 120gr ballistic tips.

I’m only going to do these 47 pieces of RP brass and monitor it. If I start to see signs of case head separation, I will take it to the gunsmith and have him set the barrel back a touch. The head diameter on sized brass is x.x64” and on the fired brass it is x.x69”.

JTD

Last edited by JeffreyDeGraff; 05-21-2022 at 10:25 AM.

Title
    110 miles north of Texarkana in the green hell
    I think I have a problem ......
    KIMG0446~2.JPG

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter View Post
    I think I have a problem ......
    KIMG0446~2.JPG
    I don’t see a problem

JTD

Title
    Premium Member

Today at the Bench.....

Last night I organized all my extra brass, separated into ziplocks, with labels inside. Got them all in two totes under the bench. I got my 10mm package from Wes, and hand deprimed 600 10mm brass and got some tumbled and dried.

I’m at the range now finishing fire forming my RP 7x57 brass.

Tonight’s plan is to get more 10mm tumbled. Size and prep this 7x57 brass, and start on my NNY and PMC 6.5x55 brass.

JTD

Last edited by JeffreyDeGraff; 06-11-2022 at 06:58 AM.