Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 29 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbaker78 View Post
    I had to pull about 400 pistol rounds because the bullets were undersized. I quickly realized the hammer wasn’t the way to go, so I rigged up a spacer and used some lineman’s pliers and pulled them in a similar fashion.
    Did that damage the bullets?

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    Did that damage the bullets?

JTD
    Oh yeah. But they were undersized cast bullets, so they just went back in the pot to make some more.

it turns out that a factory crimp die is no good for cast bullets. They were sized to .401, the ones pulled after running trough a FCD measured .397-.399”, so I was getting really bad leading after as few as 60 rounds.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbaker78 View Post
    Oh yeah. But they were undersized cast bullets, so they just went back in the pot to make some more.

it turns out that a factory crimp die is no good for cast bullets. They were sized to .401, the ones pulled after running trough a FCD measured .397-.399”, so I was getting really bad leading after as few as 60 rounds.
    Ok. On bullets I’m going to toss I use pliers. Ones I want to save get the inertia hammer out.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member

Today at the Bench.....

This week at work, kicked my ass. But I was able to find some time to get a few things done. I loaded some test loads for the 7.5x55 and 257 Roberts AI. Loaded some hunting rounds for the 7x57 with 120gr FP and IMR3031. I found a nice load for the 30-40 krag with 180gr Sierra RN and IMR4831, and loaded up some of them to sight the rifle in with. And finally, I processed my 30-40 range brass I got from Wes a couple months ago.

JTD

Last edited by JeffreyDeGraff; 12-12-2020 at 12:14 PM.

Title
    Premium Member

Today at the Bench.....

Well, Christmas slowed me down completely, but was able to get out in the woods. I got a nice 10 point, and my son got his first deer, the doe my 10 point was chasing. Now that Christmas is over, company has gone back home, and I cleaned my bench off, I’m back at it.

I prepped and primed 50 new 32 Winchester special brass, got some 35 Remington test loads made up with 200gr Hornady RN, and I’ve got 61 7.62x54R brass prepped and in the tumbler.

Feels good to be back!

JTD

I've just finished up short samples of cast bullet loads in 30-06 and 300 Win Mag. Headed out with those plus some loads for 22-250 tomorrow. Next on the list for cast bullets is 375 H&H. I always have something cooking like these.

Most of my loading has been handgun loads with cast bullets. Mainly 45ACP and 38 Special for our informal handgun matches. Being retired there's plenty of time. Being broke, jacketed bullets for all these calibers forces some cast bullet economy measures.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mowgli Terry View Post
    I've just finished up short samples of cast bullet loads in 30-06 and 300 Win Mag. Headed out with those plus some loads for 22-250 tomorrow. Next on the list for cast bullets is 375 H&H. I always have something cooking like these.

Most of my loading has been handgun loads with cast bullets. Mainly 45ACP and 38 Special for our informal handgun matches. Being retired there's plenty of time. Being broke, jacketed bullets for all these calibers forces some cast bullet economy measures.
    How did those cast loads turn out? What are you loading in your 375?

JTD

How did those cast loads turn out? What are you loading in your 375?

JTD
    First up the 300 Mag was just starting. The rifle is a T/C Dimension. The bullet is the Lyman 311332 with 29 and 30 grains of SW Buffalo that loads like AAC-5744. Accuracy was not good but these were starting loads. Better accuracy is expected as the charge is increased. There was an interest in seeing how cast bullets worked in a 5R barrel. Brass was Hornady using Winchester standard LRP's

The 30-06 rounds were fired in a Ruger Number One A 1980's vintage. Remington brass was used with Winchester Standard Primers. Bullet is 311332. The top load was 29grs of Shooters World Buffalo. This load made a seven shot group at 2" excluding one flyer. I need to do another run of these bullets. This lot of bullets was water quenched and lubed with 50:50 sized .311. I was satisfied with improved accuracy with the Ruger.

I the 375 H&H was started some time back with poor results. The bullet is an antique Ideal 375248 two cavity mold. The bullets will be sized .378 out of the gate. I'm still doing homework on the 375 H&H. The rifles will be a Ruger Number One H and a CZ550. First time out with these rifles was not good. Project was put on the back burner. Also, in the mix at some point will be a 35 Whelen.

Last edited by Mowgli Terry; 01-04-2021 at 08:04 AM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mowgli Terry View Post
    First up the 300 Mag was just starting. The rifle is a T/C Dimension. The bullet is the Lyman 311332 with 29 and 30 grains of SW Buffalo that loads like AAC-5744. Accuracy was not good but these were starting loads. Better accuracy is expected as the charge is increased. There was an interest in seeing how cast bullets worked in a 5R barrel. Brass was Hornady using Winchester standard LRP's

The 30-06 rounds were fired in a Ruger Number One A 1980's vintage. Remington brass was used with Winchester Standard Primers. Bullet is 311332. The top load was 29grs of Shooters World Buffalo. This load made a seven shot group at 2"with one flyer. I need to do another run of these bullets. This lot of bullets was water quenched and lubed with 50:50 sized .311. I was satisfied with improved accuracy with the Ruger.

I the 375 H&H was started some time back with poor results. The bullet is an antique Ideal 375248 two cavity mold. The bullets will be sized .378 out of the gate. I'm still doing homework on the 375 H&H. The rifles will be a Ruger Number One H and a CZ550. First time out with these rifles was not good. Project was put on the back burner. Also, in the mix at some point will be a 35 Whelen.
    Ive been tempted to pick up some shooters world buffalo rifle. Ive really only shot cast loads in my revolvers and my 45-70 rifles, but I’ve always been fascinated with cast loads in other rifles. I’m planning on getting some cast bullets for my 30-40 krag and 32 Winchester special.

The 35 whelen is a favorite of mine. I can’t wait to hear of your cast adventures with it.

JTD

Ive been tempted to pick up some shooters world buffalo rifle. Ive really only shot cast loads in my revolvers and my 45-70 rifles, but I’ve always been fascinated with cast loads in other rifles. I’m planning on getting some cast bullets for my 30-40 krag and 32 Winchester special.

The 35 whelen is a favorite of mine. I can’t wait to hear of your cast adventures with it.

JTD
    These projects are sequential but the time line is no so exact. Buffalo works like 5744. Likewise, 5744 has worked very well in my 45-90 and 45-110. I have used it mainly in 45-90. My use with Buffalo is recent for the 30-06 and 300WM.