Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 12 of 80 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Title
    Premium Member
    When they go on sale I buy a few hundred and they are a few pennies cheaper than the tipped version. Maybe when I run out of these, I’ll invest in the tipped versions but I really don’t see myself needing to change anything for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    This morning so far I have trimmed about 30 pieces of 6mm brass leftover from a batch I started last night. I then loaded 10 test loads with the 85gr TSX bullet that I use with my .243. After that, I finished trimming a batch of .30-06 brass that I started the other day when the 6mm was in the tumbler cleaning off the lube. I had time to do that whole batch the other day when my drill
    battery ran out of juice, went to switch batteries and found the other one hadn’t got placed on the charger correctly so I had to switch tasks and do something else. Nice to finish that today with fully charged batteries.

Mounting/leveling the scope in my wife’s 6mm later today for a range trip tomorrow after work.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbotto View Post
    This morning so far I have trimmed about 30 pieces of 6mm brass leftover from a batch I started last night. I then loaded 10 test loads with the 85gr TSX bullet that I use with my .243. After that, I finished trimming a batch of .30-06 brass that I started the other day when the 6mm was in the tumbler cleaning off the lube. I had time to do that whole batch the other day when my drill
    battery ran out of juice, went to switch batteries and found the other one hadn’t got placed on the charger correctly so I had to switch tasks and do something else. Nice to finish that today with fully charged batteries.

Mounting/leveling the scope in my wife’s 6mm later today for a range trip tomorrow after work.

You sound like me. Always something getting in the way.

You’ve been on a roll lately, getting a lot of stuff done.

I haven’t started on my 7x57 brass yet. But I did manage to get a couple scopes mounted this weekend.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    You sound like me. Always something getting in the way.

You’ve been on a roll lately, getting a lot of stuff done.

I haven’t started on my 7x57 brass yet. But I did manage to get a couple scopes mounted this weekend.

JTD
    It just usually works that way for me as I’m not the most organized but I’d like to be.

I’ve been trying to knock out as much as I can lately and it’s really for two reasons. One, I’ve had lots of load tests that are finally coming to an end. This is my favorite part, as I would much rather crank out a bunch of the same ammo and then not mess with it besides shooting. Two, my wife and I are moving from ND to WY in a couple of weeks so all the reloading stuff will be taken down for awhile and I’m not sure how long it’s going to be down for. Hoping to be back up and running by September but not sure.

What scopes did you mount this weekend? I finally took the time to mess with my wife’s deer rifle. An older tang-safety M77 Ruger 6mm Remington. I bought a Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x36 for it a while back and since we didn’t have any loads worked up for it, we ended up putting that scope on my .243 and she used that instead, while her 6mm was mothballed for a bit. Well we had it out and were messing with it a bit this weekend. It currently wears an older Japanese Tasco 4x that I had plans to replace with that Leupold. She thinks she likes that Tasco better so I just took it off, made sure all the screws were torqued properly, lapped the rings, and remounted/leveled the scope. We’re hoping to get out tomorrow to go shoot and we’ll bring the 6mm and the .243 out to let her shoot with both scopes to see which one will end up on the 6mm. Well wait and see.

Enough of my rambling for tonight. Hope everyone had a great and safe Independence Day weekend!

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbotto View Post
    It just usually works that way for me as I’m not the most organized but I’d like to be.

I’ve been trying to knock out as much as I can lately and it’s really for two reasons. One, I’ve had lots of load tests that are finally coming to an end. This is my favorite part, as I would much rather crank out a bunch of the same ammo and then not mess with it besides shooting. Two, my wife and I are moving from ND to WY in a couple of weeks so all the reloading stuff will be taken down for awhile and I’m not sure how long it’s going to be down for. Hoping to be back up and running by September but not sure.

What scopes did you mount this weekend? I finally took the time to mess with my wife’s deer rifle. An older tang-safety M77 Ruger 6mm Remington. I bought a Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x36 for it a while back and since we didn’t have any loads worked up for it, we ended up putting that scope on my .243 and she used that instead, while her 6mm was mothballed for a bit. Well we had it out and were messing with it a bit this weekend. It currently wears an older Japanese Tasco 4x that I had plans to replace with that Leupold. She thinks she likes that Tasco better so I just took it off, made sure all the screws were torqued properly, lapped the rings, and remounted/leveled the scope. We’re hoping to get out tomorrow to go shoot and we’ll bring the 6mm and the .243 out to let her shoot with both scopes to see which one will end up on the 6mm. Well wait and see.

Enough of my rambling for tonight. Hope everyone had a great and safe Independence Day weekend!

First is an old 5-15x50 Bausch & Lomb scope I had laying around. I put it on this ruger American I picked up Saturday.

The other is a weaver 2.5-8 pistol scope that I mounted on the scout mount of my Marlin 1895G. This will be my first time to ever try a scout scope.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I chamfered, deburred, and uniformed the flash holes in the 308 brass I sized a couple weeks ago. Sized, trimmed, and did the works on some more 308 brass I found, it'll go in the tumbler with the 150ish pieces of 300aac brass I sized today.

I have about 400-500 pieces of 223 to size and trim next weekend. Maybe more than that if I actually make it to the range before I get to the brass.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbaker78 View Post
    I chamfered, deburred, and uniformed the flash holes in the 308 brass I sized a couple weeks ago. Sized, trimmed, and did the works on some more 308 brass I found, it'll go in the tumbler with the 150ish pieces of 300aac brass I sized today.

I have about 400-500 pieces of 223 to size and trim next weekend. Maybe more than that if I actually make it to the range before I get to the brass.
    How do you do all of your prep work? Do you use hand tools or use a prep station?

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    First is an old 5-15x50 Bausch & Lomb scope I had laying around. I put it on this ruger American I picked up Saturday.

The other is a weaver 2.5-8 pistol scope that I mounted on the scout mount of my Marlin 1895G. This will be my first time to ever try a scout scope.

JTD
    Those scopes look nice on those rifles! Hopefully they work out nice for you!

Title
    Premium Member
    I got 18 ppu 7x57 Bess sized and trimmed. And 19 s&b brass sized and trimmed. They go in the tumbler tomorrow. The pisser is that the s&b brass required a different shell holder than what is normally used for 7x57. How rediculous is that?

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    How do you do all of your prep work? Do you use hand tools or use a prep station?

JTD
    I size the 308 on a single stage, everything else goes through the loadmaster with just a size die in the turret.

Trim, chamfer, deburr, and flash hole uniforming gets done on the FA trim and prep center. 300aac gets trimmed on a Lyman lathe trimmer with a cordless drill though, because it’s too short to hold on to with the other one.

Its definitely the most tedious part of the process, and my hands still hurt a bit after the marathon the other day, but now that it’s done I can get down to the more fun part of actually loading them up.

After tumbling what needs tumbled, I’ll prime them with an RCBS APS bench tool (amazing tool, by the way). 300aac and 223 will go to the loadmaster for charge, seat, and final crimp. 308 gets done fully on a single stage. I’m still trying to decide if I like the automatic Hornady powder measure or not, it seems to consistently drop 0.1gr high for me, but it’s easier than trickling each round.