Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 74 of 80 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 ... LastLast

Title
    110 miles north of Texarkana in the green hell
    I have another tray of workups for the 25 .
    I'm exploring ;
    Brass . After more digging I came up with 20 EW42 matched cases , a few WW and a few Super X. I loaded 5 ea with 12 gr Unique, plain base , and gas checked in the assorted cases .
    Powder .
    Throwing caution to the wind I started 1.5 gr below 120 jacketed data with the 125 gr cast and IMR 4831 with previous OAL . The idea being maybe this is just one of those barrel and bullet deals where it really wants to have a full snort and run wide open . Basically the load should pick up velocity where the Unique leaves off and about 8,000 psi less pressure with a longer push . The approximated velocity should be around 2400 to start into 2600 fps .

Herco data is like hens teeth . 300 gr data for 45 Colts is almost as bad .
    Unique however runs from 6-7.0 for standard and up to 10.2 for Ruger/Contender up to about 25kpsi . The loads are primarily for that stupid 1-32 twist in the Rossi M92's . The SWC , 250-255 gr , in particular and to a lesser degree the 255-265 RNFPs don't return to subsonic well . I'm after a just barely sub sonic with enough heft to do what it needs to do . Anyway I started off with 7-8.5 gr of Herco that delivered round holes at 50 yd but probably only about 600 fps MV so I have this batch loaded 8.7 , 9.2 , and 9.6 gr mostly because thats where the measure hit . Typically what Herco data there is takes about another 1/2 gr over Unique for the same velocity in pistols ,it gains a little in longer barrels wo gaps . The Herco is slower and slightly bulkier . It should get me right into the window of 975-1025 fps .
    If it works out I'll have to buy a 300 gr mould .

Title
    Premium Member
    I looked in an old Alliant pamphlet I have laying around. It has 7.2gr of herco with 300gr xtp for 670fps at 12,500psi. I don’t know if that is helpful or not.
    For years when using herco the rule was to use unique data plus 1/2 a grain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    I downloaded "the complete 45 Colts" manual and Lyman 38 to go with the real copy of the 43 , 48 , and 50th , 3 printings of the Hornady 68',72', & 82' , Speer #12 ....... The limited data , there's data for duplex and triplex loads in 454 in the Ackley book but Herco and 300s is nil ..... An experiment in a slower neatly wedged between 2 workhorses . That and I have about 5-6# of the stuff for the cost of about a gallon of gas out of route on a 800 mile road trip .

Title
    Premium Member
    The last 4 weeks or so, I finally got some reloading done. First I loaded 414 9mm with 115gr Rainier HP and Ramshot Zip. Next was 486 9mm with 124gr Xtreme HP and Titegroup. Last was 466 10mm with 165gr Rainier HP and Autocomp. I loaded all these on my 4 hole Lee turret press and using my RCBS Lil’ Dandy powder measure. Today I sonic cleaned and annealed 261 pieces of 32 Winchester Special brass.

Title
    Premium Member
    Yeah, I have got to get back at it. So much life happening lately, my Mom passed a few weeks ago and my fifth grandchild was born on Thursday. All on top of adding a new puppy (who is quite a handful, lol) to our household a while back. I am hoping things settle to a new normal soon so I can get back in the shop. I have a new bore scope ready to see if I can see anything that is making my LRPV so finicky as of late. Also I am in the market for a new Marlin 1894 from Ruger that was just officially released/announced last week. I also have a snub-nosed 357 that I have done very little with since I bought it. So many projects, so little time.

"Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyeralan View Post
    Yeah, I have got to get back at it. So much life happening lately, my Mom passed a few weeks ago and my fifth grandchild was born on Thursday. All on top of adding a new puppy (who is quite a handful, lol) to our household a while back. I am hoping things settle to a new normal soon so I can get back in the shop. I have a new bore scope ready to see if I can see anything that is making my LRPV so finicky as of late. Also I am in the market for a new Marlin 1894 from Ruger that was just officially released/announced last week. I also have a snub-nosed 357 that I have done very little with since I bought it. So many projects, so little time.
    You definitely have had a lot going on. I’m very sorry to hear about your mother, and on the other hand, congratulations on grandkid number 5 and the new puppy. What kind of pup did you get?

You definitely have a lot of work to do, but it will all be there waiting for you when life irons itself out.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    You definitely have had a lot going on. I’m very sorry to hear about your mother, and on the other hand, congratulations on grandkid number 5 and the new puppy. What kind of pup did you get?

You definitely have a lot of work to do, but it will all be there waiting for you when life irons itself out.

Thanks, Jeffery! We got a Miniature Schnauzer and he is a great puppy so far, but he does have a bit of an attitude. I am starting the install for an in-ground fence system tomorrow so he will have the freedom to run off some of his energy.

"Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyeralan View Post
    Thanks, Jeffery! We got a Miniature Schnauzer and he is a great puppy so far, but he does have a bit of an attitude. I am starting the install for an in-ground fence system tomorrow so he will have the freedom to run off some of his energy.
    He will be a lot of fun. That underground fence is perfect for letting him tire himself out.

Title
    I got out to shoot a little yesterday. The 57' M70 I had taken completely down to to clean up 30+ yr in the field and a scope change shot well . Just a few old Cramer , Pope designed 150 gr cast about 1000 fps to make sure the barrel and scope were pointed the same direction. Then a few 4350 fueled 312-155 Lees approaching 2500 fps MV. Not stellar brag worthy groups but good enough for for meat in the freezer if it's coyote or bigger inside 250 yd .

Dad's 25-06' ......... In an effort to figure out the flat line groups I loaded 7-10 in 5 different cases of the 260-120 NOE with 12 gr of Unique. Of course the second runner up for most unlikely to aquire showed the best results , Winchester Super X. Also present was formed EW 43 , W-W , FC , and current Win.

The cast bullets are the NOE 260-120 FP, my alloy scales at 125 gr ready to load . This test set was fueled by 42,42.5, 43, &43.5 gr of IMR 4831 taking in to account the additional case intrusion and extra weight, the loads seem to show a direction. Down . All of the powder burned , no leading , and we got a lesson about case length. Another Prima Donna .......just what I needed. The 42 gr load put 2 touching in 2 groups and the one I threw away . Case length is the only difference this was from weigh lotted new virgin Remington 1972 25-06 brass . 2 of them were 2.510 with the remaining 18 2.483-2.486 . The .510s look to be out in the ball seat .

The next tour I guess will be 41.6 , 41.8 ,42.2 , 42.4 gr . It'd be an accomplishment to get the 25-06' with a 1-9" shooting 2 MOA at 2500 fps .

Title
    Went back did a bunch of measuring after neck sizing in a 6.5-257 AI die with a the .257 expander in it . I took all 19 survivors down to a uniform 2.485 . I was surprised to see 10 so long and only 2 that didn't even get a kiss . I'm glad I wasn't shooting a full bore 4350 load at 3200 fps MV...... It's good to finally have a place to work from that might do what I promised Dad .