Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 49 of 80 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Title
    Premium Member
    Hope everyone is doing well! Been trying to pop in and at least read updates occasionally! We moved into a meeting house this spring and have been had a super busy summer. The past few weekends I’ve been in my new-to-me garage and reloading room moving, sorting, organizing between the two spaces as when we moved these two places became a common dumping ground. Slowly getting there but not even close to done in either space! Last weekend I did get enough space in the reloading room to setup the old bench for a temporary space to get back to it for this hunting season. My plan is to build up the room and customize it for reloading over the winter hopefully. But I had some loads I had to take apart so using my new Hornady CamLock bullet puller, I accomplished that last week!

Like JTD says, hunting season is around the corner! Gotta get all my loose ends wrapped up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Good to hear from you Jbotto. Glad to hear it’s all coming together.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    Good to hear from you Jbotto. Glad to hear it’s all coming together.

JTD
    Thanks man! Everyone here keeps me motivated to get my act together! Hopefully will be getting lots done this weekend that will either give me more time to load in the future or will be more helpful as far as organizing and setting up the reloading room.

Here’s some pictures of what I’m working with for now. Lots of big plans for a new built-in bench where shelves and the higher bench are now.

Title
    Premium Member
    That’s going to be nice when you’re done

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    That’s going to be nice when you’re done

JTD
    Thanks! I hope so too!

Got a bit of time at the bench this week. Working on tweaking my .30-06/Varget/ 150gr E-tip load. Hoping to sneak to the range after work tomorrow for a quick test. After I pulled apart some .243 loads with loose primer pockets from a c couple weeks ago, I reassembled those loads yesterday. At least I can bring two rifles to the range this trip!

Title
    Premium Member
    I prepped a little nickel 30-06 brass today, for my 14 year olds new used Remington 700BDL left hand. He fell in love with it last weekend, so his Christmas present followed us home. I’m thinking 150gr Hornady btsp with mid charge of IMR4064 may do the trick.

JTD

In the Loading Room (Skunk Works): I did some casting. Cast first the a additional small additional batch of 358477's for general use in 38 Specials. I had tried a run of this bullet with 5gns of ShootersWorld Ultimate Pistol powder. This load did very well in my 586.

Next came a batch of 358156's for the 357 Magnum. Both Bullets were cast in older Lyman four cavity molds. These old molds make nice bullets. That alloy was approximately 15 BH. The 358477's SWC's came out weighting 153 grains average. The 358156's ran average 157 grains.

Both bullets were sized in an ancient Star sizer. The bullets were sized at nearly as cast diameter in the vintage Star .358 sizing die. I had an old top punch for the Star that looked to be made to fit the nose of the 358156 for seating gas checks. Basically, bullets went into the Star upside down. Magma lube is used in the Starr. That rig worked very well doing the GC bullets. Also, on the agenda is to run hollow point bullets. That's for another day.

For the 357 brass something a little different was going on. I had gotten two sets of old conventional non-carbide RCBS dies. These old dies from the early 1970's did a jam up job resizing a small batch of Remington cases. Imperial Sizing Wax was used to lube cases. As you can tell, I do roam around looking for old loading gear. The best place to shop is second hand. On a fixed income I can hardly afford new stuff.

The 9.3x57's are all ready to go with Jacketed bullets right now. I'll probably get to those in the next several weeks.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mowgli Terry View Post
    In the Loading Room (Skunk Works): I did some casting. Cast first the a additional small additional batch of 358477's for general use in 38 Specials. I had tried a run of this bullet with 5gns of ShootersWorld Ultimate Pistol powder. This load did very well in my 586.

Next came a batch of 358156's for the 357 Magnum. Both Bullets were cast in older Lyman four cavity molds. These old molds make nice bullets. That alloy was approximately 15 BH. The 358477's SWC's came out weighting 153 grains average. The 358156's ran average 157 grains.

Both bullets were sized in an ancient Star sizer. The bullets were sized at nearly as cast diameter in the vintage Star .358 sizing die. I had an old top punch for the Star that looked to be made to fit the nose of the 358156 for seating gas checks. Basically, bullets went into the Star upside down. Magma lube is used in the Starr. That rig worked very well doing the GC bullets. Also, on the agenda is to run hollow point bullets. That's for another day.

For the 357 brass something a little different was going on. I had gotten two sets of old conventional non-carbide RCBS dies. These old dies from the early 1970's did a jam up job resizing a small batch of Remington cases. Imperial Sizing Wax was used to lube cases. As you can tell, I do roam around looking for old loading gear. The best place to shop is second hand. On a fixed income I can hardly afford new stuff.

The 9.3x57's are all ready to go with Jacketed bullets right now. I'll probably get to those in the next several weeks.
    You had a busy weekend. I’d love to see your set up

JTD

You had a busy weekend. I’d love to see your set up

JTD
    I have been cleaning up this morning. Being one of the ADD kids grown old things tend to get piled up. The task was sorting brass and putting cull lead bullets back in the pot. I was also busy with the Shop Vac. Doing pictures here is way too complicated.

Title
    Premium Member
    Ha! I totally understand

JTD