Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 40 of 80 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    I am definitely in the same boat that you are. I have so many things I need to shoot, test, unload, before I can continue or start any projects.

The 50gr vmax is a favorite of mine in the swift, I’ve never tried the zmax, what powders are you trying out?

JTD
    It has literally been years since I reloaded anything for this rifle. This is a group I shot back in 1995, then in 1997 I had a case rupture because I didn't understand at that time about shooting in the July heat. Had a little cut off the barrel and re-chambered and had a lot of good groups since then. Also, it's taken down it's fair share of PA groundhogs. I will definitely try BL-C2 again and I've had good success with Varget and H4895 as well. My record notebook from back then got wet somewhere along the line and some of my records are illegible at this point so it's kinda like starting over again.
    Swift group.jpg

Last edited by Flyeralan; 02-28-2021 at 07:43 AM.
    "Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"

Title
    Premium Member
    That’s a great group.

My two main loads I’ve shot out of 220 Swift’s over the years, have been 50gr vmax with W760 and 55gr ballistic tips with IMR4064. I haven’t shot my Swift’s in years, these were back when I prairie dog hunted a lot. Gutted skinned and quartered them, all at the same time.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    JTD, what rifles do you have in 220 Swift? I think mine is a custom built Yeager rifle on (I believe) a Mauser 98 action with a Robert W. Hart stainless barrel on. I suspect the barrel could soon show signs of reaching EOL, but I don't shoot it anymore.

Title
    Premium Member
    My original was a Remington 700 VS. it gave up the ghost after approximately 2250 rounds. Now I have a Ruger no1V, Remington 700 VSSF II, and one built on a 98 Mauser with a medium heavy barrel of unknown origin (I have not shot this one).

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyeralan View Post
    These loads look very good, nice work! Really anxious to see how they do for you.
    Finally got to shoot these this weekend. They shot great, good group. But, they were 12-14" low at 50yds. I hope I have enough adjustment in my sights to get it up to the bullseye.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muforester View Post
    Finally got to shoot these this weekend. They shot great, good group. But, they were 12-14" low at 50yds. I hope I have enough adjustment in my sights to get it up to the bullseye.

So, I'm curious. Is/was the gun sighted in at 50 with other loads? If so, that seems really extreme to be that far low. I wonder what causes that kind of spread?

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyeralan View Post
    So, I'm curious. Is/was the gun sighted in at 50 with other loads? If so, that seems really extreme to be that far low. I wonder what causes that kind of spread?
    I shot a jacketed load that was a few inches low. Based on the book, these loads should be around 1400fps. The jacked loads were around 2100fps. I'm guessing if I ramped the velocity up that would help.

Title
    Premium Member
    I put together these test loads last night for my Garand. 178gr Hornady match and H4895. Haven't shot my Garand for a while, looking forward to it.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muforester View Post
    I put together these test loads last night for my Garand. 178gr Hornady match and H4895. Haven't shot my Garand for a while, looking forward to it.

Second test load I put together, 168gr Sierra Matchking over IMR 4895.

Title
    Premium Member
    Finally got some time behind the bench. Loaded some 45-70 test loads for my marlin 1895G, Speer 400gr FP, and some 32 Winchester special with 170gr Hornady FP and IMR4064.

JTD