Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 48 of 80 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member
    Oh wow. Yeah, the handirifle is done.

I’m curious as to the results you get with the shooters world powder.

JTD

Title
    110 miles north of Texarkana in the green hell
    I've been struggling with my Granddaughters 6.5×50 Japanese for some time . I have some loads that are showing promise . The biggest thing is that dies really aren't very close to the actual chamber . I aquired Hornady universal neck dies in 6.5 and 270 as the needed ID is .271 , I had high hopes the 270 would over size as the 6.5 die took necks down to .261 , much like the FL dies . No such luck . Bushing dies skipped over everything even close . I'm shooting cast bullets and paper patched at .272+ , the groove dia is over .268 closer to .269 . The rifle was made in 1927 so it's nearly a century old and started out .268 .

A gentleman on another forum offered to make me a bushing for a neck die ......among other things I don't have a bushing neck die ...... He instead knocked out a die body and 3 bushings to get me the .271 neck ID desired . It's a hobby thing not a business . So no props or ads .KIMG0002.JPG

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter View Post
    I've been struggling with my Granddaughters 6.5×50 Japanese for some time . I have some loads that are showing promise . The biggest thing is that dies really aren't very close to the actual chamber . I aquired Hornady universal neck dies in 6.5 and 270 as the needed ID is .271 , I had high hopes the 270 would over size as the 6.5 die took necks down to .261 , much like the FL dies . No such luck . Bushing dies skipped over everything even close . I'm shooting cast bullets and paper patched at .272+ , the groove dia is over .268 closer to .269 . The rifle was made in 1927 so it's nearly a century old and started out .268 .

A gentleman on another forum offered to make me a bushing for a neck die ......among other things I don't have a bushing neck die ...... He instead knocked out a die body and 3 bushings to get me the .271 neck ID desired . It's a hobby thing not a business . So no props or ads .KIMG0002.JPG
    That’s very cool. That guy was just what you needed. What kind of accuracy are you getting with your paper patched bullets?

JTD

Title
    I did an initial some of these , those , that one , sized to what I had on hand to get close ,40 rounds @5 each just to see where I should be going , I can't even call them work ups really . The 3" 50 yd group with the 266469 sized .265 and patched back up to .274 dry looked pretty good when compared to the first group at 42" with a 280??? sized .277 .

With closer to proper neck dia and correct size dies for the bullets I'm hoping I can get it under 3" at 100 .
    Honestly I think my eyes and the issue sights are going to be the killer on this one .
    Load data for jackets is basically pick a flavor of 4831 scoop the case full shake enough out to seat a bullet done . Ballard and 5R rifling worked out the Metford and being 1-9.5 may prove more challenging for full house loads .

The sad part is Dad gave $125 for the rifle and 25 more for most of 2 boxes of Norma factory ammo and I have 2 sets of dies at $30 each , 2 universal neck dies , a trim die , Hornady universal 6.5 inline seater (it was paired with the 6.5 neck die) at $12 ea . A custom push through sizer , custom H&I die , and the custom bushing neck die with 3 bushings ...... I gave a box of .375 gas checks aquired in a trade for the bullet sizers and a paltry $20 for the bushing die and bushings . I have as much in getting some loaded ammo with cast bullets as he paid for the rifle going in .

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter View Post
    I did an initial some of these , those , that one , sized to what I had on hand to get close ,40 rounds @5 each just to see where I should be going , I can't even call them work ups really . The 3" 50 yd group with the 266469 sized .265 and patched back up to .274 dry looked pretty good when compared to the first group at 42" with a 280??? sized .277 .

With closer to proper neck dia and correct size dies for the bullets I'm hoping I can get it under 3" at 100 .
    Honestly I think my eyes and the issue sights are going to be the killer on this one .
    Load data for jackets is basically pick a flavor of 4831 scoop the case full shake enough out to seat a bullet done . Ballard and 5R rifling worked out the Metford and being 1-9.5 may prove more challenging for full house loads .

The sad part is Dad gave $125 for the rifle and 25 more for most of 2 boxes of Norma factory ammo and I have 2 sets of dies at $30 each , 2 universal neck dies , a trim die , Hornady universal 6.5 inline seater (it was paired with the 6.5 neck die) at $12 ea . A custom push through sizer , custom H&I die , and the custom bushing neck die with 3 bushings ...... I gave a box of .375 gas checks aquired in a trade for the bullet sizers and a paltry $20 for the bushing die and bushings . I have as much in getting some loaded ammo with cast bullets as he paid for the rifle going in .
    Keep us updated on your progress. I love hearing about getting old war horses up and running.

JTD

Title
    I will . I have a couple of obscure out of print cartridges that need to be more net searchable .

Title
    Premium Member
    What obscurities do you have?

JTD

Title
    I have a 7.7 to go with the 6.5 , a 32 Rem , 11mm Chessipot , 45 S&W .
    Not invisible so much as not popular I guess .

The 32 Rem shares data with 32 Win Special but it looks like a rimless AI with a Weatherby shoulder and about .03 shorter .

The Chessipot is a paper cartridge bolt action single shot . Mine has an 1871 issue stamp on the stock . Lots of information available just not on an average Joe level .

45 S&W aka Schofield isn't really an oddity load data boils down to 45 ACP data in a 1.10 case length , shorter than the 1.28 Colts . I don't have a Schofield pistol but I do have a bubba'd 1917 S&W reamer to head space the Schofield case on the mouth . So it will eventually get some P+ loads . Which sounds bad but the OM design is for a 12 kpsi cartridge and I plan on hopping it up to like 18 kpsi ......a 250 gr SWC about 950-975 fps in a 5" DA with target sights . Well inside the 21kpsi design of the 1918 built N frame .

Title
    Premium Member
    Very cool stuff you have there.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Finally had a moment to sit at the bench this morning. Between work, and my kids football and marching band, life has been hectic.

I loaded up some test loads for the kids’ hunting rifles. 7x57 with 139gr Hornady interlocks and IMR4320. 7.62x54R with 180gr Speer RN and IMR4064 and W760.

Hunting season is just around the corner, and they are excited.

JTD