Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 59 of 80 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member
    After way too long away from the bench, I’m back. Got my new bench set up and have been doing some long needed brass prep.

I got my 375 whelen and 338-06 brass prepped, tumbled and ready to load.

9.3x62 brass is sized and trimmed, just need to chamfer/debur before it goes in the corn cob.

Ive got 25 out of 200 WW 30-06 range brass, FL sized.

I took my Husqvarna model 46, 9.3x57, and 91 Argentine Mauser, 7.65x53, to the gunsmith. The Husqvarna he is just checking out to make sure everything is good, the Argentine has a crack in the stock that he’s going to pin and glue, then he’s going to properly inlet and bed it.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Sounds good JTD! I too have been away too long. A lot of demands on my time right now between work, the yard and a pending construction job here at the house. I will get back to it, I have plans to get the Savage BR out this year and work on it again. I have a few bullets that I have not tried and am anxious to see how good the gun, (or these old eyes) can shoot again. What is worse is that I have a new 1911 (my first) in the safe that I haven't even shot yet. This must end, lol.

"Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyeralan View Post
    Sounds good JTD! I too have been away too long. A lot of demands on my time right now between work, the yard and a pending construction job here at the house. I will get back to it, I have plans to get the Savage BR out this year and work on it again. I have a few bullets that I have not tried and am anxious to see how good the gun, (or these old eyes) can shoot again. What is worse is that I have a new 1911 (my first) in the safe that I haven't even shot yet. This must end, lol.
    What caliber is your savage BR? What 1911 did you have?

I put a new flat recoil spring in my 1911 last summer, still haven’t tested it for function. It has been so windy here, since it’s warmed up, that I cannot go to the range, I can barely keep my ball cap on my head.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    The BR is in 6mmBR, bought it used at an lgs a few years ago. They knew the guy that had it , he got a knee busted up pretty good and could no longer shoot in the prone position very well. Came with competition Redding dies, a bunch of loaded ammo, and a good amount of brass. I put a Weaver 36x scope on it and I have shot some 5 shot groups in the .20's at 100. Probably as good as this old guy can shoot anymore, but I still like to dream. The 1911 is a Ruger SR1911 in 45, the only caliber that a 1911 should be in. JK, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    What caliber is your savage BR? What 1911 did you have?

I put a new flat recoil spring in my 1911 last summer, still haven’t tested it for function. It has been so windy here, since it’s warmed up, that I cannot go to the range, I can barely keep my ball cap on my head.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    The BR is in 6mmBR, bought it used at an lgs a few years ago. They knew the guy that had it , he got a knee busted up pretty good and could no longer shoot in the prone position very well. Came with competition Redding dies, a bunch of loaded ammo, and a good amount of brass. I put a Weaver 36x scope on it and I have shot some 5 shot groups in the .20's at 100. Probably as good as this old guy can shoot anymore, but I still like to dream. The 1911 is a Ruger SR1911 in 45, the only caliber that a 1911 should be in. JK, lol.
    Oh wow! Awesome rifle. Is it fast or slow twist, do you shoot heavy or light bullets out of it? Ive always dreamed of having a 6BR.

I have only one 1911, I would only ever have a 1911 in 45, but I do understand why some people would want it in smaller calibers. I guess I should never say never, if someone gave me a 9mm 1911, I’d keep it, but if I’m spending money on one, no.

I got 100 of the 200 WW 30-06 range brass sized and trimmed, they are about to come out of the tumbler now.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    It is a 1in8 twist for heavies. Shoots good with Sierra 107's, but when I found the Berger 105 VLD's, it really came into it's own! Then I came across some Clinch River 106's that if I understand correctly are made with the same jacket as the Berger's. It really really likes those, but they are apparently no longer in business and what I have is probably the last I will see. Anyway, Varget is really the only thing I found that shoots so well in it. It is a lot of fun for this "wanna be" benchrest shooter, lol.

Which 1911 do you have JTD? I have always wanted one and I sold my Sig P227 to fund one.
    '

Title
    Premium Member
    It is a 1in8 twist for heavies. Shoots good with Sierra 107's, but when I found the Berger 105 VLD's, it really came into it's own! Then I came across some Clinch River 106's that if I understand correctly are made with the same jacket as the Berger's. It really really likes those, but they are apparently no longer in business and what I have is probably the last I will see. Anyway, Varget is really the only thing I found that shoots so well in it. It is a lot of fun for this "wanna be" benchrest shooter, lol.

Which 1911 do you have JTD? I have always wanted one and I sold my Sig P227 to fund one.
    '
    My 1911 is an original Dan Wesson Pointman, from back before CZ bought them. I never looked up the serial number but the originals were made from 1999 until CZ bought them out in 2005. I bought it used in 2008, I got a smoking deal on it. I loved it so much that I found myself never shooting my 4” Kimber Tactical, and sold that Kimber like a big dummy.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Oh, my! Nice 1911 there! As far as the Kimber, I looked long and hard at Kimber and they had the look I wanted, but the Ruger won out.

Title
    Premium Member
    Working on test loads for a new caliber, 6mm TCU. Can't wait to try them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muforester View Post
    Working on test loads for a new caliber, 6mm TCU. Can't wait to try them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Looking good! Can’t wait to hear how they shoot.

JTD