Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 56 of 80 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
    This past week I got back into reloading for rifles. I made up some loads for my old 700 SPS in 7mm-08. Recent loading has been with Shooters World Precision Rifle powder and some Speer 130 gr. flat base spitzers. Locally Shooters World is the only powder I can get currently. Powder and bullet combination worked for great accuracy. Next up was some more shooting working up to be SW max loads. The burning is similar to Varget. I have learned to use SW data. That is if there is any SW data. Yes, I know to go to Lovex.

I also shot my Number One A in 30-06. with Precision Rifle and Sierra 165gr BT bullets. I had not shot the rifle since the new crown. These loads were mainly for zero's as the scope had been off the gun. There no choice about getting a Ruger extension rear ring. This ring would cure the sever stock crawling needed to use comfortably a recent Leupold FX-4 scope. Looks like this SW powder will work in this rifle.

I have to be miserly with components. I'll rejoice when this jerking around on loading components is over. I'm about worn out shooting a handgun. Ditto on handgun loading components.

Last edited by Mowgli Terry; 01-28-2022 at 04:29 AM.

Title
    110 miles north of Texarkana in the green hell
    Keep tabs on annual consumption . Stock that going forward times 2-5 when the shelves are full and prices come down .
    I use the 1 to try , if it works buy 2 more , when I open the 1st of the 2 I buy 2 more , method . When I get to whatever my target is say 10 for example I buy #11 when I'm using #12 so I have 10 always on hand . It hurts a lot going in but it's sure nice when parts aren't available for going on 2 yr to have enough to hold out for a second term .

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mowgli Terry View Post
    This past week I got back into reloading for rifles. I made up some loads for my old 700 SPS in 7mm-08. Recent loading has been with Shooters World Precision Rifle powder and some Speer 130 gr. flat base spitzers. Locally Shooters World is the only powder I can get currently. Powder and bullet combination worked for great accuracy. Next up was some more shooting working up to be SW max loads. The burning is similar to Varget. I have learned to use SW data. That is if there is any SW data. Yes, I know to go to Lovex.

I also shot my Number One A in 30-06. with Precision Rifle and Sierra 165gr BT bullets. I had not shot the rifle since the new crown. These loads were mainly for zero's as the scope had been off the gun. There no choice about getting a Ruger extension rear ring. This ring would cure the sever stock crawling needed to use comfortably a recent Leupold FX-4 scope. Looks like this SW powder will work in this rifle.

I have to be miserly with components. I'll rejoice when this jerking around on loading components is over. I'm about worn out shooting a handgun. Ditto on handgun loading components.
    Glad you got some good accurate loads with the shooters world powder. I have never tried any myself.

I’m almost ready to start testing loads in my 257 Roberts and 9.3x74R Ruger no1’s. I have to creep on the 257, but on the 9.3 I have a scope with over 4” of eye relief and a long mounting surface, so I’m able to get get a full sight picture without creeping.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Ive been slow at the bench lately. I’m having a new bench being made, and I’m waiting to get all set up before I do any more loading. I picked up a new Frankford M press, and a new Lee turret press to go along with my 30 year old Rock Chucker. I also got a package today with all my In-Line Fabrication stuff for the new bench. Can’t wait to get back at it.

JTD

Title
    110 miles north of Texarkana in the green hell
    No loading but I cast a few . About 7-8# worth which would be a lot but I was chewing it 1600 gr at a time in the big 3 hole NOE version of the 458132 Postell at 535 gr per hole . That's just over 4 pours per pound for those counting , throwing the sprues back . I love the mould but it's a single feed deal in the 45-70 1895 . After the operator error and visible defect cull I had 35/48 from 535.2-534.5 gr with no particular groups to suggest any particular cavity .

I poured some 45-500 FP RCBs single , this one only gulps up 1-1/4 oz every pour .
    I ended up with 25/32 after culls and 530.8-531.4 gr it is a single but I must be out of practice or something .

I poured a new to me 454424 round groove HP I've had for about yr for the first time . I think there was a little oil in it maybe . I only got 25/35 For keepers . 245.3-246.8 it's for a 45 Colts and Schofield +p+ revolvers so it only needs to be perfect for 50 yd or so .

Also it's not as much fun to cast singles as it used to be fortunately I don't plan on a steady diet of 245 gr HPs in the pistols or 500 gr RNFPs in the 45-70 so that helps me feel better about it .

Title
    Premium Member
    Put together my first test loads for my 32-40. I can't wait to try them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muforester View Post
    Put together my first test loads for my 32-40. I can't wait to try them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I hope you get to shoot it this weekend!!!! Dang that’s a beautiful rifle.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    That is one beautiful rifle, do let us know how it shoots.

"Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"

I did get the 700 Mountain Rifle running. The major triumph did come at the bench. I had been using Imperial wax to size the Winchester plated brass. It was very hard to size on the best day. Swapped over to the recent RCBS Lube and the problem went away. I have an abundance of plated cases that are once fired. All the others needed to be trashed. Temporary use only with the plated brass.

Also. the hunt for 8mm brass will start shortly. The Husqvarna 260 with FN action is working out very well using PPU bullets. The range pickup PPU brass formed up nicely to 9.3x57.

For the handguns is loading 41 Magnum using the Lee 195 gr. grease grove bullet. The gun is a 1980's vintage Blackhawk. I've got bullets set aside for PC.

Last edited by Mowgli Terry; 03-05-2022 at 11:29 AM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mowgli Terry View Post
    I did get the 700 Mountain Rifle running. The major triumph did come at the bench. I had been using Imperial wax to size the Winchester plated brass. It was very hard to size on the best day. Swapped over to the recent RCBS Lube and the problem went away. I have an abundance of plated cases that are once fired. All the others needed to be trashed. Temporary use only with the plated brass.

Also. the hunt for 8mm brass will start shortly. The Husqvarna 260 with FN action is working out very well using PPU bullets. The range pickup PPU brass formed up nicely to 9.3x57.

For the handguns is loading 41 Magnum using the Lee 195 gr. grease grove bullet. The gun is a 1980's vintage Blackhawk. I've got bullets set aside for PC.
    Rcbs lube is slick, interesting that it made sizing easier than imperial wax. I’m still looking for dies for my 9.3x57. What powder are you going to use in the 41 mag?

JTD