Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 24 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Title
    Premium Member
    You can! I’ve never done it but remembered seeing it on Lee’s website. The problem now though is they keep sending me back to the homepage every time I click on it so I have contacted Lee’s customer support over this.

They are cheap enough that I just keep one set up for each caliber. When the cutter starts to wear down,I move it up to the next size so I keep using different parts of the cutter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I’ve been crazy busy lately, but have found a little time to size some 257 Roberts brass. I have 98 pieces and halfway done.

I dug out my 35 whelen and 338-06 improved brass in hopes that I can get it processed sometime soon.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Same here JTD! I did end up ordering a case length gauge from Lee for my .338-06 as they had some overstock but was unable to order a custom length version as they aren’t filling custom orders at this time. I got that in the mail late last week and it’s sat on my bench since then.

I got out hunting with my wife on Saturday morning and she filled another tag, this one a nice whitetail doe, with the .243 and 85gr TSX. Shot was around 80 yards, quartering towards us. Didn’t break any shoulder bones and slipped that bullet just past it, took out both lungs, poked through the very corner of the diaphragm and exited. Shot was higher in the rib cage so the blood trail wasn’t great at first but still relatively easy to follow. The doe made it back into a patch of Russian Olives and maybe made it 50 yards in total.

She’s been making me look like I know what I’m actually doing at the reloading bench, with that rifle lately! We were out at the range Friday evening and she hit a steel plate on her first round at 300 after shooting groups and 100, 200, and 300.

Title
    Premium Member
    Outstanding!!! Nice doe!

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Finally got my 257 Roberts brass done and in the tumbler. Ive got a list of projects next.

Prep once fired 6.5 creedmoor

Prep new 6.5 creedmoor

Prep 243 brass

Clean and prep 35 whelen brass

Clean and prep 338-06 brass

Neck 35 whelen brass up to 375 to fireform

Neck 30-06 brass up to 338 to fireform

Neck 30-06 brass up to 8mm to fireform

I’m sure there is more to do but that stuff is at the top of my list.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    Finally got my 257 Roberts brass done and in the tumbler. Ive got a list of projects next.

Prep once fired 6.5 creedmoor

Prep new 6.5 creedmoor

Prep 243 brass

Clean and prep 35 whelen brass

Clean and prep 338-06 brass

Neck 35 whelen brass up to 375 to fireform

Neck 30-06 brass up to 338 to fireform

Neck 30-06 brass up to 8mm to fireform

I’m sure there is more to do but that stuff is at the top of my list.

JTD
    You got a couple of fav's there to work on! I am a big 243 fan, almost all of the deer I have harvested in my life have been with the 243 and all but one was 1 shot. I love the 35 Whelen, but it hurts too much and I am a pre 257 Roberts owner, lol. I have been pretty focused on learning the sub-sonic 300 Blackout game at the bench recently, hoping to nail down another load this weekend at the hunting camp.

"Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyeralan View Post
    You got a couple of fav's there to work on! I am a big 243 fan, almost all of the deer I have harvested in my life have been with the 243 and all but one was 1 shot. I love the 35 Whelen, but it hurts too much and I am a pre 257 Roberts owner, lol. I have been pretty focused on learning the sub-sonic 300 Blackout game at the bench recently, hoping to nail down another load this weekend at the hunting camp.
    Ive never killed anything with my 243, but I’m going to play around with it and see what happens.

I took the 35 whelen to the range Sunday. I shot the last 6 rounds I had loaded up from years ago. My shoulder still hurts.

What are you using for your subsonic loads, are you shooting a bolt, AR, or single shot?

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    Ive never killed anything with my 243, but I’m going to play around with it and see what happens.

I took the 35 whelen to the range Sunday. I shot the last 6 rounds I had loaded up from years ago. My shoulder still hurts.

What are you using for your subsonic loads, are you shooting a bolt, AR, or single shot?

JTD
    I've killed many a PA groundhog with the 243 as well, I have always had good success with IMR 4350 for accuracy. My 300 BO is an AR, BCA upper that I won in a raffle (otherwise I would probably not still own an AR) on a PSA lower. Nothing special, but it eats just about anything I feed it and is reasonably accurate. Been working with an array of 175gn and up for subsonic and am finally trying the Berry's 220gn this weekend. AA1680, and a similar surplus have been pretty good suppressed, but IMR 4227 has been so quiet that I am focused on it to see if I can get it to cycle consistently. At any rate, I am having fun learning.

"Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyeralan View Post
    I've killed many a PA groundhog with the 243 as well, I have always had good success with IMR 4350 for accuracy. My 300 BO is an AR, BCA upper that I won in a raffle (otherwise I would probably not still own an AR) on a PSA lower. Nothing special, but it eats just about anything I feed it and is reasonably accurate. Been working with an array of 175gn and up for subsonic and am finally trying the Berry's 220gn this weekend. AA1680, and a similar surplus have been pretty good suppressed, but IMR 4227 has been so quiet that I am focused on it to see if I can get it to cycle consistently. At any rate, I am having fun learning.
    Ive used 243 on many prairie dog hunts. What bullet do you use for deer?

I have a bolt action blackout. Ive had great success with 180gr plated with unique. Super quiet but won’t cycle an AR. 4227 was almost as quiet and is supposed to cycle the action. I didn’t like 1680.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    JTD, what are you planning on loading for your .243? I’ve played around with mine for years and shot a small variety of bullets. My Savage 11 doesn’t seem to hate anything I’ve fed it as usually with a bit of tinkering all loads have been hunting worthy. It’s even a few years since I touched anything besides the Barnes 85 TSX in mine, but I know I’ve shot the 95gr SST, 100gr Sierra ProHunter as well as a Sierra GameKing too, I just don’t remember which one. I some old 65gr Speer or Hornady HP’s loaded up for mine that I’ve wanted to test for a couple years, but there is just always something more pressing to get to when I’m at the range. I can honestly say I’ve never shot a deer with the .243 as it is always my loaner rifle. Loaned it to my brother for a few years when he was getting into hunting during high school, and didn’t buy his own rifle. Now my wife seems to have commandeered it until we have her 6mm all finished for her. Someday I’ll get to shoot it! Ha!