Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 64 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
    I realize shooting some of the less commonly used calibers makes one a scrounger. What looked like cheap 300 WSM was not. The bad news was stuff came from a brand that is notorious for loose primers from the very first firing. The freezer bags storage work fine until there are too many freeze bags.

Last edited by Mowgli Terry; 06-11-2022 at 08:32 AM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Ive been working on the last of my rounds to be fireformed into 257 Roberts AI. They are 6mm PRVI brass with 87gr Sierra bullets and H414.

I also got my lee turret press set up to do some 9mm. Ive had the press for at least 8 months now and haven’t done anything with it yet. I’m excited to give it a whirl.

JTD

Title
    110 miles north of Texarkana in the green hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Mowgli Terry View Post
    I realize shooting some of the less commonly used calibers makes one a scrounger. What looked like cheap 300 WSM was not. The bad news was stuff came from a brand that is notorious for loose primers from the very first firing. The freezer bags storage work fine until there are too many freeze bags.
    I'm not going to push anything but if the pockets get loose because of just soft brass one might peen the pocket and swage it back out to standard . For example like I full circle crimped primer . I did some NNY berdan to LRP boxer just that way . They held fine for 5 loads at 42-45kpsi .

Title
    Premium Member
    I finally used my lee classic turret press. I loaded 155 9mm with 147gr Berrys RN and 3.3gr of Tite group, 1.150”. I didn’t use the auto index because all my 9mm brass is sized flared and primed already, so I just manually indexed between seat and crimp die. So far so good.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Ive been playing with the Lee Classic Turret some more. After my range trip yesterday, ive been loading up some winners. Ive cranked out some 10mm with 165gr rainier HP and autocomp, and some 45 Colt with 255gr Xtreme FP and Unique. I’m thoroughly enjoying this press, it’s not the fastest but is perfect for my needs. Next up is going to be some 357 magnum with 158gr Xtreme FP and Unique.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member

Today at the Bench.....

I got the 357 rounds for my puma92 loaded up this weekend, 6.4gr unique with Xtreme 158gr HP. This is a nervy accurate plinking round out of this rifle.

I finished fireforming the last of my RP 257 Roberts Ackley brass this weekend and was able to get it all cleaned annealed sized trimmed and polished. Ive been hitting the books trying to figure out the next powder/bullet combos I want to try next.

I loaded up some 41 magnum test loads with starline brass and Hornady 210gr XTP. Using Hornady data for 1250fps, I loaded a cylinders worth with AA7, AA9, 2400, H110, and a max load of IMR4227 that is supposed to yield 1200fps. I will start a new thread in pistol reloading when I get to shoot these.

I got some more range time with my new Glock G40 10mm, I am going to start a new thread in pistol reloading to go over everything with this.

I got quite a bit done this weekend, and am feeling very content.

JTD

Last edited by JeffreyDeGraff; 07-04-2022 at 10:35 AM.

Title
    Premium Member
    I haven’t got a ton done lately, but I have finished loading my 10mm plinking ammo, and have a test done up with 180gr magtech HP and longshot.

I loaded up 5 rounds of 257 Roberts AI. One each of different charge weights of RL19 with Hornady 120gr HP. Trying to find my max and getting an idea of velocity.

I started working on some test loads for a buddy’s 25-06, with Hornady 117gr btsp and RL22.

Hopefully I will get some range time this weekend.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    No time at the bench for me lately. The garden has been doing great this year and everything seems to be ready at the same time, lol. My bench is the kitchen counter and stove manning the pressure canner. We are nearing the end, though.

"Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"

Title
    Premium Member
    I spent a little time at the bench this week. Made up some test loads for some hunting rifles. First was 7x57 with 120gr ballistic tips over IMR4064 and IMR4320. Next was 30-06 with 150gr ballistic tips over IMR4064, and 180gr SST’s over Ramshot Hunter. Last was 9.3x74R with 285gr PRVI RN over H4350 and Ramshot Big Game. I pulled some 338-06 brass and 200gr ballistic silver tips out, but haven’t loaded those yet. Also on the list is 257 Roberts and 117gr Hornady RN. Getting ready for hunting season. Once the weather cools off a little I’ll be hitting the range.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    More and more test loads. 338-06. 257 Roberts. 7.62x54R. Hell maybe something else too, I’m losing track. Ready for a range day or 12.

Oh yeah. I picked up a new used savage 99 in 284 Winchester a few weeks ago. Ive got some test loads made up for it also. 145gr grand slams with IMR4350

JTD