Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 38 of 80 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Title
    Premium Member
    Finally getting back to reloading a bit. Spent a couple hours last night over a zoom call with my cousin, who’s starting to reload, on going over the steps of setting up a sizing die and going over the steps of trimming/deburring/chamfering. He’s read the ABC’s of Reloading and I think just got overwhelmed a bit. Since I have to reset all my dies since the addition of a wear plate to my co-ax, I figured it’d be helpful for him to see the process. It worked well too as I had my rifle handy to show the process of adjusting to your rifles chamber rather than just following the directions that come with the dies. All in all, I resized 5 pieces of brass for my .338-06. Haha! I’m getting somewhere!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member

Today at the Bench.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jbotto View Post
    Finally getting back to reloading a bit. Spent a couple hours last night over a zoom call with my cousin, who’s starting to reload, on going over the steps of setting up a sizing die and going over the steps of trimming/deburring/chamfering. He’s read the ABC’s of Reloading and I think just got overwhelmed a bit. Since I have to reset all my dies since the addition of a wear plate to my co-ax, I figured it’d be helpful for him to see the process. It worked well too as I had my rifle handy to show the process of adjusting to your rifles chamber rather than just following the directions that come with the dies. All in all, I resized 5 pieces of brass for my .338-06. Haha! I’m getting somewhere!

Sounds like you are getting him going in the right direction.

I had some time to get some stuff done yesterday, but couldn’t figure out anything to do. That was depressing.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    Sounds like you are getting him going in the right direction.

I had some time to get some stuff done yesterday, but couldn’t figure out anything to do. That was depressing.

JTD
    I almost wish I had that problem! Ha! Since I’m not shooting much, I’m slowly going through all rifles and cleaning them. Once the bores are cleaned the corresponding sizing die gets re-adjusted.

Long list of reloading to do before moving into our own house in April-May. This move will be easy as it’s just across town rather than across a few states.

Title
    Premium Member
    I almost wish I had that problem! Ha! Since I’m not shooting much, I’m slowly going through all rifles and cleaning them. Once the bores are cleaned the corresponding sizing die gets re-adjusted.

Long list of reloading to do before moving into our own house in April-May. This move will be easy as it’s just across town rather than across a few states.

When I bought my house it was the same way, across town. Made it very easy.

I’ll find something to do I’m sure. Just need to get creative.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member

Today at the Bench.....

Nothing too exciting but I worked on setting up more dies last night. I got the dies set up for my .30-06 and .243. I don’t know why, but I hate setting up dies. It’s tedious but at least now I know they are set up to my rifles chamber for minimal resizing.

Title
    Premium Member
    Haven’t been at the bench much. Corncob tumbled some 223 and 7x57 brass today.

But I did make it to the range today. Shot my 32 Winchester special, 45-70 1895g, puma92 454, Rossi92 357, SBH 45 colt, cimarron arms birds head 45colt, Taurus judge, bond arms snake slayer, glock 30sf, 1911, and Springfield XDM 9mm. Some was plinking, some was load development. Felt great to get out.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Pulled a scope off my .338-06 as the scope wasn’t level and it’s been bothering me. Since I had the rifle out of commission I decided I’d also pull the action from the stock to clean the dust out. When I did that, I found a couple cracks in the stock splitting apart my bedding job and doing at least 1/2” deep in a couple places. I’m less than pleased. I’ll be on the phone with the manufacturer tomorrow at some point. It’s always something. Just when I was feeling that I had this rifle squared away, this happens. Hope everyone had a better weekend than I did.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    Haven’t been at the bench much. Corncob tumbled some 223 and 7x57 brass today.

But I did make it to the range today. Shot my 32 Winchester special, 45-70 1895g, puma92 454, Rossi92 357, SBH 45 colt, cimarron arms birds head 45colt, Taurus judge, bond arms snake slayer, glock 30sf, 1911, and Springfield XDM 9mm. Some was plinking, some was load development. Felt great to get out.

JTD
    How old is your 32 win spl? I have my great-grandfather's from 1923.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Greybeard View Post
    How old is your 32 win spl? I have my great-grandfather's from 1923.
    Somewhere between 1943 and 1947. I bought it used from Cabelas in 2008. I don’t know any history of it.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Pulled a scope off my .338-06 as the scope wasn’t level and it’s been bothering me. Since I had the rifle out of commission I decided I’d also pull the action from the stock to clean the dust out. When I did that, I found a couple cracks in the stock splitting apart my bedding job and doing at least 1/2” deep in a couple places. I’m less than pleased. I’ll be on the phone with the manufacturer tomorrow at some point. It’s always something. Just when I was feeling that I had this rifle squared away, this happens. Hope everyone had a better weekend than I did.

That sucks!!!! Where are the cracks? I couldn’t tell from the picture

JTD