Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 71 of 80 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 ... LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member
    I have been on a pistol kick. Put together some 380 the other night too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Someone's been busy. I just got my bore scope delivered yesterday and am planning to get my Savage benchrest 6BR out this year and my LRPV in 204. The 204 has been quite finicky and after some very impressive groups early on, I have been having some trouble. The plan is to find out exactly what is in the bore and use the appropriate Bore Tech cleaner to get it clean and start over.

"Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"

Title
    Those look so nice

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyeralan View Post
    That is quite a variety, lol. Let us know how they do!
    I was finally able to shoot the loads. All the loads were accurate but I had some cycling problems with the Lehigh Defense bullets. I am going to up the powder charge .3gr and see if that helps.

Title
    Premium Member
    I’ve been playing around with some 44 magnum loads, with xtreme 240gr RNFP, for a redhawk that I just put a scope on. So far the best was 6” at 50yds with 9.8gr unique. My seating stem was marking the bullets up pretty good, so I took my drill and one of my wife’s Emory boards and went to work on it. Now I just need to try it again.

I’m going to try some new loads with, several powders, and up the velocity a little. I think that will help.

For 9mm I tried some 115gr rainier HP with ramshot zip, and it worked incredible, very happy with the results of that.

Title
    110 miles north of Texarkana in the green hell
    Started ..... restarted a milsurp . It's a 7.7×58 Arisaka.

Cast bullets ahead.
    Casual observations about the cartridge itself . Imagine an 8×57 necked to .310 with a neck only .320 long and a 308 shoulder that loads to almost 06' length . Makes it a lot closer to 06' than 308 . The twist is about 1-9.5" so hurling Volkswagens is possible, if not practical .

The other bug is that this one oversized a fair bit and of course has the round top and bottom Metford rifling, it looks like this ~ but round with 4 lands and grooves . It is .316×.305 . That's cool I have tools and bullets for that . It has a need for .318 to fill the throat . The formed from 270 is going to have to be reamed a .320 makes me force the bolt . It may be a lost cause .
    The 8×57 brass is a little better for fit but also short and the shoulder is in the wrong place , too far down .

All minor inconveniences really. The sizing may force me to buy more new dies .

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter View Post
    Started ..... restarted a milsurp . It's a 7.7×58 Arisaka.

Cast bullets ahead.
    Casual observations about the cartridge itself . Imagine an 8×57 necked to .310 with a neck only .320 long and a 308 shoulder that loads to almost 06' length . Makes it a lot closer to 06' than 308 . The twist is about 1-9.5" so hurling Volkswagens is possible, if not practical .

The other bug is that this one oversized a fair bit and of course has the round top and bottom Metford rifling, it looks like this ~ but round with 4 lands and grooves . It is .316×.305 . That's cool I have tools and bullets for that . It has a need for .318 to fill the throat . The formed from 270 is going to have to be reamed a .320 makes me force the bolt . It may be a lost cause .
    The 8×57 brass is a little better for fit but also short and the shoulder is in the wrong place , too far down .

All minor inconveniences really. The sizing may force me to buy more new dies .
    I always love when you post here, your stuff is very interesting and I love reading it. Is your arisaka stock or sporterized?

Title
    Barrel and stock are cut . It's modified with a magazine release , bent bolt , and recoil pad . If the type 38 sights are an example of the issue sights the Williams front ramp and rear set are a huge improvement.

I don't know that I have especially unique examples but rather examples that just need a little more than average attention to shoot well .

I like to share the trip , it often helps me sort things out , those "oh yeah I see the problem now that I've written it down" moments . It might save someone else a trip down a blind alley.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter View Post
    Barrel and stock are cut . It's modified with a magazine release , bent bolt , and recoil pad . If the type 38 sights are an example of the issue sights the Williams front ramp and rear set are a huge improvement.

I don't know that I have especially unique examples but rather examples that just need a little more than average attention to shoot well .

I like to share the trip , it often helps me sort things out , those "oh yeah I see the problem now that I've written it down" moments . It might save someone else a trip down a blind alley.
    Sounds like my kinda rifle.

Title
    Interesting outcome.
    I got some 45-70 brass from a guy someplace with some other brass . The head separation was just age and brass fatigue . I doubt the loads were much over 18kpsi . A 530 gr RCBS 45-500 FP from a 1895G at 935-945 and 1045 fps . There were 2 loads of 5 ea but I had gremlins in the man cave that mixed them together. The 940s I think were 35 gr of 4831 , Ken Waters published, and the 1040s were 9 gr of Unique. The Rem-UMC brass is seen sans rim and head .
    The interesting part isn't the fabulous group , I blame the operator and shooting both open through an FP 95 that shows the front hood well inside rear halo . What is interesting is it looks like the rifling lands cut clean where they were tipped out .
    8821.jpeg