Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 10 of 80 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Title
    Premium Member
    I have so many different tools to simplify case prep all the way up through priming clean brass, but it's still the least fun part of the process.

Title
    Premium Member

Today at the Bench.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mbaker78 View Post
    I have so many different tools to simplify case prep all the way up through priming clean brass, but it's still the least fun part of the process.
    Agreed. I don’t have many of the mechanized or motorized tools for the various case prep steps, but I have noticed each upgrade I get to my equipment, the slightly easier it gets. Still hate case prep.

With that being said I got up early today to spend some time at the bench. Resized a batch of 55x 6mm Remington and tossed them in the tumbler to remove the media. Trimmed a random smaller batch of 6mm, about 30 or so, with my Lyman trimmer and then finished up chambering and deburring case mouths. Finished up the reloading part of my day with researching load data for an 85gr TSX to use in these 6mm cases and looking for information in temperature sensitivity of IMR4064.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jbotto; 06-27-2020 at 08:08 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    IMR 4064 is temp sensitive. All powders are, some just more than others. I can say that I’ve shot more 4064 than any other powder I’ve used. It was my main powder I used in 3 of my prairie dog rifles, for more than a decade. I burned out 6 barrels and shot those rifles from 30° up to 105°. It’s a great powder in my book.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    From what I read it seems like it is rather temp insensitive. Maybe not as much as Hodgdon’s Extreme line but pretty close. I’ve used a couple pounds of it before in the .30-06 before but got away from it. One of my more accurate loads with the 165gr Sierra Game King used IMR4064 to good effect so I’ve still got some around. I think today’s task is to recreate that load to make sure the loose nut behind the trigger is still doing his job properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Finally getting back to the bench again today. I have added a 3-d case feeder and am working at getting ready to load my first rifle (300 B/O) on my Hornady AP. Got a Mr Bullet Feeder die for the 300, and modded my Hornady .45 tubes with 3/8" Pex tubing to feed the .308 bullets. Pretty close to having it fine tuned and ready to roll. Love my AP for the money I have invested. I have loaded rifle for decades on a single stage, and been loading pistol for 4 or 5 years on the AP. First attempt at a bottleneck case on the AP. It feels good to be back at it.

"Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyeralan View Post
    Finally getting back to the bench again today. I have added a 3-d case feeder and am working at getting ready to load my first rifle (300 B/O) on my Hornady AP. Got a Mr Bullet Feeder die for the 300, and modded my Hornady .45 tubes with 3/8" Pex tubing to feed the .308 bullets. Pretty close to having it fine tuned and ready to roll. Love my AP for the money I have invested. I have loaded rifle for decades on a single stage, and been loading pistol for 4 or 5 years on the AP. First attempt at a bottleneck case on the AP. It feels good to be back at it.
    Glad you’re back at it. Good luck with your maiden voyage with the blackout on the AP.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Sizing some black hills 6.5-284 brass today. I don’t know if I’ll trim it tonight or wait until tomorrow.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I'm back to work, so I haven't had time to get back to the bench for a while. Maybe this weekend I can get some of the random .223 loaded up.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbaker78 View Post
    I'm back to work, so I haven't had time to get back to the bench for a while. Maybe this weekend I can get some of the random .223 loaded up.
    Oh nice! Glad you’re back to work.

I need to finish brass prep on the 6.5 brass I mentioned above, then need to prep my 7x57 brass (my 10 year old has laid claim, I mean, inherited my 7x57) to prep, then I’ll start working on some loads.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I don’t know how I missed the posts about IMR4064 temp sensitivity... I have some chrono data from the same load at 45 and 90 degrees, but it’s on an old phone, so I’ll have to dig it out and see what it says.