Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 47 of 80 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member

Today at the Bench.....

Quote Originally Posted by Flyeralan View Post
    Wow! What a productive couple of days on the range. Great to see the 257 AI shooting that good. Are you done with that load?

I do believe I’m done with it. This rifle has never liked the heavier bullets, so I had to force it to like it. It has been a labor of love. After reviewing my targets, it was under 1/2”. I’m ecstatic.

You can see my micrometer setting for the Frankford Arsenal universal seating die. I still am liking it quite a bit.

JTD

Last edited by JeffreyDeGraff; 07-05-2021 at 11:53 AM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Very nice! That should be an effective combination for multiple targets. Way to persevere.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

"Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"

Title
    Premium Member
    Got a few 45-70 test loads done today. These were the best from Saturday, loaded again to test at 100yds, and get some velocities.

The flex tips are in full length brass to shoot out of my Siamese Mauser. The Speer FP are for my marlin guide gun.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I made up some 7.5x55 and 30-40 loads tonight. Testing seating depth on the 7.5x55 with Berger 175gr VLD, and loaded up some hunting ammo for the krag.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Here’s a new old one that I’ve never loaded for before. 7.65x53 Mauser. I’m trying 150gr Speer .311 soft points with IMR3031, IMR4064, and H4895. Using the book seating depth of 2.815”.

These are for an 1891 Argentinian Mauser, sporterized a long time ago by someone I don’t know. I picked this gem up for next to nothing at a gun show in Dallas, about 13 years ago, and never got around to messing with it, until now. Hopefully it’s got a little life left in it.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    Here’s a new old one that I’ve never loaded for before. 7.65x53 Mauser. I’m trying 150gr Speer .311 soft points with IMR3031, IMR4064, and H4895. Using the book seating depth of 2.815”.

These are for an 1891 Argentinian Mauser, sporterized a long time ago by someone I don’t know. I picked this gem up for next to nothing at a gun show in Dallas, about 13 years ago, and never got around to messing with it, until now. Hopefully it’s got a little life left in it.

JTD
    I put a few loads together for mine and I hope to shoot it soon. I think it will make a great deer rifle. I hope I can shoot the open sights decent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I had gotten rounds loaded for the 45-90 Pedersoli Sharps. I was shooting offhand Saturday. My load was 33gr. of Shooter World Buffalo that is supposed to be AAC-5744. As an act of faith I went with this. I'm not sure about this. This Shooters World equivalent came across as faster. The chronograph should give some answers. The bullet is the Lyman 458124 running made from my usual alloy for smokeless powder. The mold is of unknown vintage coming from an estate sale. Bullets averaged slightly over 400 grains. Bullets were lubed with SPG. Accuracy with 5744 with this bullet has been very good. Hopes are to get to the range this coming week for some serious testing. It's back to blackpowder shortly. At the last range session two project rifles crapped out. One was a Handi rifle in 22-250. That gun is now a wall hanger. The other was a 788 in 22-250. Bubba had adjusted the trigger that would now not reset.

Double Post

Last edited by Mowgli Terry; 07-13-2021 at 05:03 AM.

Title
    Premium Member
    I have read good things about buffalo rifle, but have not tried any.

What was the matter with the handi rifle?

Are you going to replace the trigger in the 788?

JTD

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    I have read good things about buffalo rifle, but have not tried any.

What was the matter with the handi rifle?

Are you going to replace the trigger in the 788?

JTD

The Handi Rifle: The Handi rifle was cursed. Intermittent light strikes misfires was the main problem. Getting started on this mess the forend became detached. The lug had to be tact welded onto the barrel. We never could get the gun to fire a string of shots. On the last trip to the range it staring "popping open." That done it.

Some guys on another forum were skeptical thinking the entire thing was phony. I offered to send them the gun to see how they could do. No reply. Those guys were helpful but this gun got something unusual wrong. The gun was not worth the effort spent on attempting repairs.

The 788: On the 788 the trigger would not reset. The trigger did OK until no reset kicked in. It could have been Bubba who did not clean the rifle or adjusted the trigger. I have not looked at it since the problem started last week. Arrangements have been made to get the extractor replaced. Extractors going south on this guns are a problem. These sorts of problems are common in second hand guns from gun shows.

Shooters World Buffalo. Right now I suspect that the powder may be faster burning than 5744. The jury is out on that one. After some experiments with Shooters World Precision Rifle powder, I do not care to go further until there is some more data for the rounds I'm loading. So far the handgun powders have been good. Yes, I know about the Lovex data. There's No data for some of the cartridges I load.

Last edited by Mowgli Terry; 07-13-2021 at 03:06 PM.