Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 19 of 80 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member
    I prepped, aka sized, primed and belled 1k 9mm cases yesterday on my old Rockchucker. I never want a progressive until I dive into a project like that. Oh well. Tonight I'll start throwing charges and seating bullets. I do believe this will potentially be the cheapest I've ever loaded 1k rounds. Free range brass, the last SPP I have on hand which I bought a while ago for $23/k, just over 1/2# milsurp Bullseye powder from an 8# keg I paid $45 for and 115gr TMJ bullets I picked up off the side of the road for free. All in I think I'll be just under $30 invested for 1k rounds. I guess that's worth pulling that handle 4k times.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    You’ve got 50 loaded rounds with the brass in question? Ive shot brass with loose pockets before, without any issues. If the primers are very loose, you could tap the brass on the edge of your bench, if any of the primers come out or start to come out, you can cull those out of the bunch. Ive used that method before. It’s not fool proof, but can help you identify the worst ones.

JTD
    Thanks, yeah 50 left of the original batch. I will try tapping them all to see if I can remove any that are really bad, that’s a good idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbotto View Post
    Thanks, yeah 50 left of the original batch. I will try tapping them all to see if I can remove any that are really bad, that’s a good idea!

I hand or bench prime as opposed to on my progressive, so I can feel if any of the pockets are loose when seating. Amy that are noticably loose get marked across the bottom with a sharpie and culled after firing.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbaker78 View Post
    I hand or bench prime as opposed to on my progressive, so I can feel if any of the pockets are loose when seating. Amy that are noticably loose get marked across the bottom with a sharpie and culled after firing.
    I use a Lee hand primer but I didn’t mark them when I felt the few that went in easy. It was an afterthought and a mistake on my end. I did pull the ejector out of the bolt this evening. Spring behind the ejector looks like it got pushed into itself but the ejector and retaining pin look good still. With most of all my centerfires being some derivative of the Savage 110, I should be able to steal some replacements from a different rifle for now.

Title
    Premium Member
    This evening I got my nickel 45-70 brass deprimed and tumbled. Loaded 5 .308’s, for my AR10, with 41.5gr of TAC and 168gr Gold Dots. That charge weight was most accurate the last 2 times, but not accurate enough. This time I reduced my OAL from 2.800” to 2.780”. I also loaded 5 30-06 ( 180gr Sierra sp / RL22 ) and 5 223’s ( 55gr Gold Dot / 26.6gr RL12 ) to shoot over the chronograph. Ive got more to do, but that’s it for tonight.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Last night I sat down and loaded 50 210gr TTSX with Varget for my .338-06. Cases had been prepped and primed previously, so I just had to weigh charges and seat bullets to my pre-established length. That’s all I did, but happy I have those loaded and already dialed in.

Title
    Premium Member
    Finally got some crap done this weekend. I loaded some 280 Ackley test loads with 162gr Hornady BTSP and 60.2gr IMR7828, testing 4 different seating depths. 6.5x55 with 125gr Partitions and 44.0gr RL19, testing 4 seating depths. 8x57 with 150gr Hornady SP and 50.0gr IMR4064, 3 different seating depths. And 6.5-284 with 140gr Gold Dots and RL19, 3 different charge weights. I also got some 7x57 brass sized and trimmed and in the tumbler.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    Finally got some crap done this weekend. I loaded some 280 Ackley test loads with 162gr Hornady BTSP and 60.2gr IMR7828, testing 4 different seating depths. 6.5x55 with 125gr Partitions and 44.0gr RL19, testing 4 seating depths. 8x57 with 150gr Hornady SP and 50.0gr IMR4064, 3 different seating depths. And 6.5-284 with 140gr Gold Dots and RL19, 3 different charge weights. I also got some 7x57 brass sized and trimmed and in the tumbler.

JTD
    Sounds like a productive weekend! I finished up some 9mm 135gr Xtreme RNFP over Titegroup (hopefully subsonic) and then switched the AP over to 300 B/O and loaded some 212gr Midway 2nd's over Midwest Powder MP-350, right now it is all about learning the subsonic game.

"Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"

Title
    Premium Member

Today at the Bench.....

Quote Originally Posted by Flyeralan View Post
    Sounds like a productive weekend! I finished up some 9mm 135gr Xtreme RNFP over Titegroup (hopefully subsonic) and then switched the AP over to 300 B/O and loaded some 212gr Midway 2nd's over Midwest Powder MP-350, right now it is all about learning the subsonic game.
    Ive recently tried some titegroup in 9mm with 115 124 and 147 played bullets. They shot very well but super sonic. What charge weight are you trying with the 135’s to get sub. Ive got a great subsonic load for my bolt action 300 blackout, using unique and 180gr rainier wedge hp.

JTD

Last edited by JeffreyDeGraff; 08-30-2020 at 04:28 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    I primed all of the remaining 223 brass I had from the last few outings. Came out to 730 pieces. Now I’m hitting them with a quick chamfer just to help seat bullets smoother. Had to take a beak for dinner, but I’ll finish them up tonight. Once they’re all done they will be ready to load up with some WC844 and 62gr FMJBT, then these will go into storage, my primer stash is getting lower than I feel comfortable with it being, and I’ve already traded a box of small pistol for small rifle.