Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 7 of 80 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member
    I just got through depriming a bunch of 300 savage, 6.5-284, and 7.62x54R, brass that I recently got from Wes. Ready to be cleaned. Temps have gotten into the high 90’s here in North Texas, so that is going to make it hard to go to the range.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Just off work a couple hours ago. Deprimed a couple hundred 9mm and 300 BO from the last 2 range (cabin) trips. am one item away from being able to load BO on my AP Press instead of on the trusty RC.

"Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"

Title
    Premium Member
    I got all my brass cleaned up. Now it’s time to prep it all. Went shooting yesterday, so I need to make up some more test loads too.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I sized all of the bullets I had powder coated, 400+ 356-124, 80 309-230, and 50 452-300. It’s so easy to burn through them with the lee APP.

After I was done with all of those I decided to prime a couple hundred 9mm cases to try out loading for that, then I primed all of the blackout brass I had prepped (600+). I had 6 pieces left when my APS bench tool decided to eat one of the bushings... A quick call to RCBS and I have a few of each on the way to me for free already, so no worries there. I have plenty of stuff to last me the few days it’ll take them to get here.

Title
    Premium Member
    That lee app press seems to be awesome. I always here good things about it.

Ive had good luck with all the manufacturers getting replacement parts to me.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Fireformed some of the 6mm rem brass that I necked up to 257. There is not much difference between the 6mm Remington and 257 Roberts.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    That lee app press seems to be awesome. I always here good things about it.
    As is usual with Lee, it has its bugs, but it makes quick work of sizing bullets or depriming brass. It takes longer to load the feed tubes than it does to actually deprime 223 or 300aac. It’s a little bit finicky with 40s&w for some reason, but I could make some tweaks to improve it with some experimenting, I just didn’t have that much of it to worry about.

As far as sizing bullets, it just goes right through smaller shorter pistol bullets. They feed perfectly, just load tubes and pull the handle. It doesn’t seem to like to feed long thin bullets like the 309-230 though, so I just hand feed them.

I’ve also used it to swage out primer pockets and it seemed to do a fine job of that, being 5.56 they fed very well, but I haven’t primed that many so I can’t say just how well they swage. I didn’t notice any tight pockets in the batch of blackout brass I primed and I know I cut some of the swaged 5.56 down for those, so obviously it does work.

I preordered mine directly from Lee so I payed a bit more, but overall I’d say it’s easily worth what I paid for it just for depriming and bullet sizing alone. I think later in the week I’ll try using it to FL size some 308 brass and see how it does for that, I don’t expect any problems because it was sizing 312-160s that had been powder coated down to 309 in one pass.

Title
    Premium Member
    Made it out to shoot yesterday with my friend who I’ve been reloading for his 7mm-08. Got set up and warmed up by shooting the remainder of his factory ammo. Opened up my ammo can to grab the handloads for his rifle only to realize that I left them on my kitchen table. since he had limited time to shoot yesterday I salvaged it with getting him more comfortably shooting groups with my .223 and a few dozen of my prairie dog loads. He shot some dandy groups after some pointers. We also experimented with the effects of an attached bipod versus just the rifle riding bags. I introduced natural point of aim to him and he was amazed at the little details that help tighten groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I also made an order of some 150gr Nosler E-tip blems that I found a deal on to continue testing this bullet for my .30-06. I hope i can get it to shoot well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Keep us posted on those e-tips. It will be nice to have a solid review of them here on the forum. Maybe start a thread about them.

That was a good way to salvage the range trip for your buddy. Hopefully now he will use those pointers when shooting his 7-08, and your handloads can really shine.

JTD