Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 70 of 80 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 ... LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muforester View Post
    Put together my next 7mm Bench Rest load. 140gr ppu over H335. My last test load will be with 130gr hot cor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I’m rooting for the hot cor!!!!!

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Got my last 7mm BR load complete. 130gr Speer over RL7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    110 miles north of Texarkana in the green hell
    So today I got out the Blackhawk and was cleaning the 45 Colts cylinder in preparation for some loading . It had a crude ring in it that looked like I'd shot 4-500 Schofields through it , that case is just 1.100 . So I got it cleaned up and grabbed a bunch of random Colts brass and started measuring , 1.260 ...... Crap I've been hunting Nevada where I was required to have 1.280or longer cases ...... They're supposed to be 1.285 .

Outside of the crud ring no harm ..... I guess I'll have to trim a bunch of brass down to 1.100 . I only have 35-40 cycles on most of this brass I guess I'll have to bust out the 4 bags of new Win or the brass stretcher . I sure hope the new brass is long enough.

Nope never trimmed any of it . All of it is from factory ammo circa 2000-2008 . I guess that explains why I had to keep adjusting the crimp die down . No they weren't all Colts loads most of them were just over max Colts loads just into low Ruger loads with 255-265 gr cast getting along at 1050 fps MV.

As an addendum to this I did measure a bit of lower milage brass and that is much closer to the correct length .

I haven't shot much the last few years but I have been seeking better suited equipment for my needs which included die exchanges and a move to steel dies for the 45 Colts . The 2 sets of RCBS carbide were taking my .480 fired cases from the BlackHawk down to .469 when I FL sized then flared back up to .476 for the .454 dia cast and about a .484 mouth . The steel dies are better only taking the body down to about .475 and leaving the neck about .473 . Which is what lead to all of the measurements and finding the cases so short . Not that it makes a huge difference in the RBH really . I used a Lyman AA deluxe set plus a 4th steel die , it's actually an early carbide sizer in the deluxe set and it only sizes .475 . The steel 4th die , a loose die in this case , does .477 and a .475 neck . The RCBS 3 die steel set is not an option at this point as it sizes .474 and .470 mouth dia making it almost as bad as the carbide dies . At one point I had 5 full 3 die sets of Lyman and RCBS dies on the bench .

This has resulted in a need for a new solution to sizing wearing out brass . I had a M92' copy of 92' Winchester because of it's just weird oversized .489 body and .450 groove it got segregated brass which I sized with a Lee FCD body for 45 ACP and the universal decapping die . Making extra steps and other stuff for me to whine about . I figured I could dig it out and see what it actually sized . The last time I used it i was fixing a bunch of 45 ACP with fat heads for a 1917 as a push through sizer . So I ran a few cases . .4785 and it's carbide . The cap/plug is 5/8-18 for those still reading along . So the next project will be to drill and tap the $2.75 5/8-18×1-1/2 bolt 1/4-28 for the spare RCBS decapping rod and cut an oring groove about 3/8" up because I ain't buying a nut for that . Then I'll have a carbide sizer that only sizes about .003 instead of .013 that has to be taken back up .01 at the mouth just to get a bullet seated .

That might warrant its own thread about mixing die sets to get where you need to go .

Title
    Premium Member
    Not much going on here. I finished prepping all my 7.5x55 PPU brass.

Cleaned and polished about 1600 9mm brass. Loaded up a couple 9mm test loads with 115gr Rainier HP and ramshot zip.

Other than that I’ve been compiling my load notes and tinkering on a few guns.

Title
    Premium Member
    I've been working at cleaning up my bench area. I have a bore scope coming this weekend and intend to get my (benchrest) rifles out this year and determine the shape of the bore and clean appropriately with the new Bore Tech products I purchased recently. I am also considering my next purchase, I am looking for a lever gun. I have never owned one and have it narrowed down to 2 calibers, 44 mag and 45-70. I don't want a collectible, I want a shooter, any recommendations out there? I am watching the new Marlin products being slowly introduced by Ruger and wondering if I should wait, but am not against any other ideas if someone has an opinion.

"Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyeralan View Post
    I've been working at cleaning up my bench area. I have a bore scope coming this weekend and intend to get my (benchrest) rifles out this year and determine the shape of the bore and clean appropriately with the new Bore Tech products I purchased recently. I am also considering my next purchase, I am looking for a lever gun. I have never owned one and have it narrowed down to 2 calibers, 44 mag and 45-70. I don't want a collectible, I want a shooter, any recommendations out there? I am watching the new Marlin products being slowly introduced by Ruger and wondering if I should wait, but am not against any other ideas if someone has an opinion.
    I love lever action rifles, my 45/70 is a Marlin 1895G (ported 18.5” barrel), I got it in 1998, the first year Marlin introduced that model. My 44magnum is a Winchester 94 angle eject. Both are fantastic shooters. The Ruger marlins are supposed to be nice from what I’ve read, and the Henry’s are supposed to be too. I don’t have any experience with either though.

Let us know what you decide on.

Title
    Premium Member
    I really enjoy lever actions. I have a Winchester Model 94 made in 1974 in 30-30. Also have a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt. Both are a blast to shoot. I really enjoy putting together cast bullet loads for them.

Title
    Premium Member
    Worked on some test loads for 38 Super last night

Title
    Premium Member
    That is quite a variety, lol. Let us know how they do!

Quote Originally Posted by muforester View Post
    Worked on some test loads for 38 Super last night

"Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"

Title
    Premium Member
    That is quite a variety, lol. Let us know how they do!
    The bullets are 115gr Lehigh, 147gr cast, and 124gr Hornady xtp.