Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 54 of 80 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
    Thanks for your help with my problem with that 452424 mold. I also have problems transposing numbers-for real. Your post should seriously be a sticky. We are talking about the top band. I may have problems with that mold. The balance of the bullet was filled out.

I was running a converted Lyman mold in a Master Caster at 700 degrees. There is a PID on the machine. The alloy was range scrap running some softer the Lyman #2. The main problem was a the top band. The machine is run slowly with the fan on. The sprue was allowed to cool. The mold had been washed dawn in Dawn before installation in the machine. The sprue plate is standard for Magma molds.

I have most recently made a short run with this alloy making Lyman 358113's. That mold is a vintage four cavity Lyman cast used with a ladle. Ditto with another Lyman 452424 mold cast with a ladle. Zero problems with those bullets.

There were also problems with the bullets sticking.. There are no visible problems with the mold. My thinking is the temperature and/or alloy may also be a problem. I need to start simple and work up to the most complicated. A longer run is planned sometime this week. Following your list without success suggests store bought bullets. Thanks again.

Last edited by Mowgli Terry; 12-06-2021 at 02:34 AM.

Title
    110 miles north of Texarkana in the green hell
    I suspect that it may just be residual oil or cutting fluid in the mould .
    It usually burns off but not always sometimes it seems to ooze out forever . The iron moulds are made from a very micro porus alloy , I can't remember the name now , but it will hold a lot of oil compared to what the surface looks like anyway . An alcohol bath might help but a couple more runs will most likely fix it also .

I had read for several years about the wonder of the brass mould and what great tools they were . I won't carry on but I was about 2 seconds from sending that little delight on it way .......then it just started working . Now I get the wonder of the brass mould but the start up has ensured that I won't buy a new one again .

I think the problem is with the mold. The cavity that faces me opening machine is the problem. The top ring in that cavity looks to be the source of the bad bullets. Removed from the machine it may be possible to see a problem. Narrowed down it should be easy to figure what to do next.That mold was used when I got it. Mold needs some detective work.

A friend who is a brass mold evangelical gave me two. I have never gotten the NOE HP brass mold work. It's a two cavity hollow point version of the Lyman Thompson bullet-358156. The other remains unused. I'd rather leave them be than risk damage. I don't see the attraction to brass molds. I remain unconverted.

Title
    Premium Member
    Put together a few extra 7-30 loads tonight. 110gr Speer TNT over RL15.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Working on some 22-250 loads for my heavy barreled Ruger M77 MKII. 40gr vmax over Varget. 50gr Barnes over Acccurate 2700.

Title
    Premium Member
    Man, I’m jealous that you are still working on stuff. My reloading is shut down until after the holidays.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    Man, I’m jealous that you are still working on stuff. My reloading is shut down until after the holidays.

JTD
    Now I just need to find time to shoot it.

Title
    Premium Member
    I finally got my Christmas lights up. Haha! Maybe I can get some loading done next week.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I had a great day at the range today. Shot test loads in my 7-30 waters, 22-250, and 300 Blackout. Here are a few of the targets.

Title
    Premium Member
    Put together a test load for my AR last night, 55gr TTSX over H335. Hopefully I get to shoot it this weekend.